none
How to send C# double array to VC++ ActiveX COM Dll function. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using VC++ ActiveX dll in C# windows Application. ActiveX COM dll code is build using Visual C++ 6.0 and I have source code to update.

I want to create one method in ActiveX dll  accepting double array as an argument and invoking it from C# application.

I tried creating ActiveX method [GetData(double FAR* dStartPt, long nSize) ]. The corresponding AXInterop Dll in C# application shows

[GetData(ref double  dStartPt, int nSize) ] signature.

By this I am able to send a first element as ref, and tried to access other elements of array by  [dStartPt] incrementing (I think this is not right.) but it get only first element right and other zero.

could you please tell me where I am wrong. OR  information about sending array from C# to ActiveX.

[I search for SAFEARRAY but could not  add reference to C# project, and Activex Dll is developed long time ago.]

regards

sumedh.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hello sumedh hiwarale,

1. >> I tried creating ActiveX method [GetData(double FAR* dStartPt, long nSize) ]. The corresponding AXInterop Dll in C# application shows

>> [GetData(ref double  dStartPt, int nSize) ] signature.

>> By this I am able to send a first element as ref, and tried to access other elements of array by  [dStartPt] incrementing (I think this is not right.) but it get only first element right and other zero.

1.1 It is generally not possible to pass a C-style array via COM-Interop even if you have specified the size of the array to be used at runtime (via the size_is() IDL attribute).

1.2 Hence you are correct in noting that only one element can be sent to the COM GetData() method.

2. In order to achieve a C# signature like the following :

GetData(double[] dStartPt, int uSize);

you need to manually modify the interop assembly as follows :

2.1 Use ildasm to transform the interop assembly into a text file, e.g. ildasm HIRAWALEAX01Lib.dll /out:HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il

2.2 Then open HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il (a text file) and change the GetData() method signature as follows :

original :

.method public hidebysig newslot virtual
              instance void  GetData([in][out] float64& dStartPt,
                                       [in] int32 uSize) runtime managed internalcall

new :

instance void  GetData([in][out] float64[] marshal([+1]) dStartPt,

2.3 That is, we replace the '&' with a '[]' and then indicate that the array size can be found in the parameter at index 1.

2.4 You then re-create the interop assembly by using the ilasm.exe program, e.g. :

ilasm /dll HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il

That is, you re-create the interop assembly (e.g. HIRAWALEAX01Lib.dll) using the newly modified HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il.

3. >> I search for SAFEARRAY but could not  add reference to C# project

3.1 I'm surprised that you are experiencing difficulties with SAFEARRAY.

3.2 This is by far the best way to specify arrays in COM-interop.

3.3 What signature did you use for the COM method (when you tried using SAFEARRAY) ?

- Bio.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hello sumedh hiwarale,

1. >> I tried creating ActiveX method [GetData(double FAR* dStartPt, long nSize) ]. The corresponding AXInterop Dll in C# application shows

>> [GetData(ref double  dStartPt, int nSize) ] signature.

>> By this I am able to send a first element as ref, and tried to access other elements of array by  [dStartPt] incrementing (I think this is not right.) but it get only first element right and other zero.

1.1 It is generally not possible to pass a C-style array via COM-Interop even if you have specified the size of the array to be used at runtime (via the size_is() IDL attribute).

1.2 Hence you are correct in noting that only one element can be sent to the COM GetData() method.

2. In order to achieve a C# signature like the following :

GetData(double[] dStartPt, int uSize);

you need to manually modify the interop assembly as follows :

2.1 Use ildasm to transform the interop assembly into a text file, e.g. ildasm HIRAWALEAX01Lib.dll /out:HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il

2.2 Then open HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il (a text file) and change the GetData() method signature as follows :

original :

instance void  GetData([in][out] float64& dStartPt,

new :

instance void  GetData([in][out] float64[] marshal([+1]) dStartPt,

2.3 That is, we replace the '&' with a '[]' and then indicate that the array size can be found in the parameter at index 1.

2.4 You then re-create the interop assembly by using the ilasm.exe program, e.g. :

ilasm /dll HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il

That is, you re-create the interop assembly (e.g. HIRAWALEAX01Lib.dll) using the newly modified HIRAWALEAX01Lib.il.

3. >> I search for SAFEARRAY but could not  add reference to C# project

3.1 I'm surprised that you are experiencing difficulties with SAFEARRAY.

3.2 This is by far the best way to specify arrays in COM-interop.

3.3 What signature did you use for the COM method (when you tried using SAFEARRAY) ?

- Bio.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Hi Bio,

[2]

I managed to update the C# method signature from ref double to double[].

data send to COM Dll is invalid.

[3]

Then I tried with SAFEARRAY  and manage to send valid data to COM Dll.

this is the signature in COM dll

[GetData(const VARIANT FAR& dStartPt, long nSize) ]

and this  is in C#.

[GetData(object dStartPt, int nSize) ]

thanks for your  explaination..

sumedh hiwarale :-)

Friday, November 12, 2010 12:36 PM