none
What Happens to the people who have Visual Studio 6 ?

Question

• I bought Visual Studio 6 and i was wondering if i can now start develop my applications and sell them to my customer or Microsoft has a problem with that ? do i need to pass some investigation if my product is legit or no?  I did all i had to do on my part tried to ask help from Microsoft and Microsoft keeps refusing to provide any help at all i even record everything so i have proof that Microsoft employees deny and refuse to provide any help what so ever.   I want to develop my applications based on the Visual C++ compiler because this is the only compiler that supports ALL WINDOWS Platforms without having to deal with SICK .Net libraries and DLL HELL.  I love making ONE Executable that compiles to MACHINE CODE and runs energy efficient and it does not have to pass through many layers of useless things like the Just in Time Engine etc etc.   Some people say that Windows 10 is energy efficient when it runs on an i7 while i say try Run Windows 95 on an i7 you will see it load in no time and you will see what is energy effient and what is not. Even if Windows 95 is old as well as 98 it is their architecture that remains up to the windows 10 and thats what makes all programs written for those platforms compatible will all versions of windows.   So Please let me know where i can get a license for Visual Studio 6 or relevant products like VIsual Basic 6 and Visual C++ 6 ... 
    Friday, May 13, 2016 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

From my perspective, you do not need any investigation or so from Microsoft. You bought a box of their product. They sold it for you tu use it. You have the license key and the box seems to be a full version (so no academic version with limited rights). It is exactly that product that we used in the past to produce commercial software.

I fear that you will not get any more information from Microsoft. But what I saw in my country always was quite positive: Microsoft has no interest in getting their users in front of court. So when people was selling wrong licenses, Microsoft often gave users real licenses for the invalid licenses. So this is something which would make me quite confident when I bought a box of Visual Studio 2002 in the past.

Regarding the target platform: Yes, after your description I agree with you, that Visual Studio 6 should be the best development platform for you. Visual Studio 2013 / 2015 can only support Windows XP binaries. Not sure what other applications will support. Of course: newer versions of the compiler could be nice because they will support newer C++ standards which is something that I would always recommend. But you have to keep the view on your customers and you simply have to produce software that they could use.

And now I even understand why you are a that mad at Microsoft. :) But your situation is something that a lot of people no longer have in focus. That is a shame but can be easily explained - companies want to earn money and they focus on areas where they earn most money.

I can understand that my personal view is not a big help for you because you wanted a leagl information from Microsoft. But I fear that you cannot get that. If you still do not want to use the license that you bought (I am really sure that you own this license from your description and it should work when you install it. It shoud work without registration so just skip that.) then the only possible way would be a lawyer that reads the license agreement that should be part of the box, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad 

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hello I want to ask a question of now that Visual Studio 6 does not exists in MSDN downloads nor it is supported what happens with the developers that want to develop applications with such systems?  I really need to use the libraries of Visual C++6 I heard that some people managed to use Libraries of Visual C++ 6 with Visual Studio 2003 or 2005 just by changing the include directories the other major problem is the Library redistributables for example version 6 links directly to the MSVCRT.DLL while the other versions of Visual Studio dont while i was always considering the MSVCRT library as a core OS library that for some reason it has to work with previous versions this does not seem to be the case.   ANy How I need to be able to use the Libraries of older versions of Visual Studio 6  HOW DO I DO THAT LEGALLY ?   Because Microsoft was asking me to buy an MSDN Subscription to use them some person informed me that Visual C++ 6 has also been removed and this is really made me mad why would Microsoft do that?  They use as an excuse the recent trial and arrangement they made with SUNS but that trial was a void trial and both Suns and Microsoft are in danger to be accused of manipulating the system in order to achieve a decision that benefits them while they are damaging the state.   This is a serious Crime Microsoft and Suns did ...   The Libraries and the Source files should be available to the people plus a System that was on sale cant be removed with an arrangement with suns Both SUNS and Microsoft operate under the law of the state and they both committed to protect that state and not act against it.   Even if there is a decision not to have available Visual Studio 6 on the Download does not mean people can not use it legally and Microsoft is responsible of providing a license to the people who demand a license such that.  You cant have some people who can and some people who cant in other words if I am not able to use it then the people who obtained a Copy should also not be able to use it and this by itself demands a new trial thus the Decision of that Court is VOID because Microsoft and SUNS tricked the state provided FALSE evidence and they where expecting that the ignorance of the judges will lead them to a decision that will give them the right to remove an item that can not be removed.   If Microsoft has been proved that she violated the Patent of SUNS then Microsoft should pay SUNS for it and the state is responsible providing a reasonable price.    The debate is that SUNS does not want Microsoft to sell Java so be it People can still Obtain a COPY of Visual Studio 6 but they will have to accept a NEW EULA that will state that they will not USE THE JAVA ... and most like the compiler and the source code should be available to the people some people have managed to compile with just the libraries of visual studio 6 and header files using other external programs even open source... Now here comes the problem of legal rights the copy right remains for the rest parts and thus they have to be available to the people SUNS made a process to Microsoft just for the MSJVM not for the entire thing.  Microsoft has made a compiler that is Express edition 2005 yet it is not the same as Visual Studio 6 the compiler does not support windows 98 for example.  Why would Microsoft hate Windows 98 so much?   

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

I am a little confused. You said that you bought Visual Studio 6 - so you might have a license. Was there a license code inside the package that you bought? That should be a code like 123-1234567.

If you have a license to Visual Studio 6 then you are allowed to use it. You will not get support but that might not matter.

If you do not have a license then it might be hard to get one. You could check if you find a license at ebay. Microsoft might not like it but buying and selling these licenses is valid (in germany where I live the court even decided that OEM licenses can be unbundled from hardware and sold, too).

You can get a current MSDN subscription. That also offers access (license) to older tools. But I checked my subscription: Visual Studio 6 is not offered but Visual Basic 6 is. Visual C++ 4.2 is also inside.

And my last point that is very important: You can use the up to date Visual Studio, too. Visual Studio 2015 also contains Visual C++ and that still supports the standard win32 C/C++ compilation. So at least I do not see any reason why Visual Studio 6 should be used at all.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Edit: If you really want to develop applications for really old operating systems, then you might need some older compilers. As far as I know the current compiler will not support building executables for Win95. I think they build executables that only start on XP with some service pack but I might be wrong. That is a topic that I was never interested in. 
    Friday, May 13, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Well to your View License is the whole Box sir the Box has a sticker outside and this sticker has the License Usage for example the box is 628-00141 is an upgrade version of Visual Studio i own 97 already i have 2 versions of 97 one academic and one Enterpirce retail in the part no Database it comes like 1user - STD - CD.  I also have the Visual Studio Pro academic used it when i was getting my diplomas. I also own Visual Studio 2002 Architect also got them from Ebay and Visual Studio 2003 all some where new some where used but having talked with the owners told me they never registered their keys.  So if for you sir the License is a CDKEY to install the software then yes sir i do have those and they are legit.  Thought for me sir the license is a legal term and means permit.  TO Me the license is a permit given by Microsoft either electronic or paper i love paper tho in other words i call Microsoft i explain to them I have those products can you please investigate if all is ok or if you have some objections so i can proceed to produce my code.  So Yes sir i own a License if this is what it is for you but i do not have Microsofts Investigation and permission yet because we need to have some sort of an interaction yes or no?  First I announce to them that i own a license and they need to check if it is ok.. If  it is OK they need to provide me with some sort of re-assurance that am ready to go.  For example inside there is a registration card but i do not know if this works i do not know how those products are registered i havent even registered the old software i had the sales man took my name and made a form but who knows what happened?   In Legal terms a License is a permission given by the creator of the software i never understood how those Retail Boxed License work it is really strange.  For example i know that if i make a software it will be a per machine license or per copies per user that means a user can make limited copies to limited machines his license can be transferable and even sell it if he wants while i have this policy Microsoft does not or does with the retail boxes ... I am not an American and i do not know what they do in USA In My country thre is a capital control and people dont have a clue what Visual Studio is because they live in the cave ages ... Windows 98 is the ideal Operating system in My country because most accounting software work in DOS mode sir.  They use Dot Matic Products and MICROSOFT Is asking for me to use VIsual Studio 2015 they have to be crazy i would say.  When i install Visual studio 2013 my PC crashed because that thing is too heavy it has too much siit inthere sir and the code it compiles is not compatible with older versions of windows even on Windows XP without service pack or older than that.  For example visual studio 2005 and up cant compile code compatible with windows 9x for example  That was because Microsoft is infecting the compiler and they make calls to the kernel that do not exists on older versions making them incompatible in order to overcome this problem people need to hack in the code and this idds suucks developers made 3rd party tools to fix what Mixcrosoft tries to unfix this is really nasty Why would Microsoft Break the compatibility its obvious Microsoft does not like compatibility they do that with the .net as well .net 1 2 3 4 5 and they hate the Open source operating systems like WINE or ReactOS they even hate their own System Windows 2003 they drop support they want customers to go RUN and upgrade their operating system Microsoft has major issues and this is a problem because there is lack in the leadership.    

To Summarise sir yes i do own a cd key if this is the license for you thus according to you i am licensed nut as i explain the term license is a legal term and not to be able to apply a key and use the software. Ofc i understand in a company that has millions of customers we dont want them to call and ask license we want it to be automatic i agree thus we have the cdkey thats also understood.  Microsoft is keep changing and deleting staff from their website and all those changes tho make things confusing.  

new visual studios are not compatible with windows 9X sir they all need that terrible .net you can either use a Visual Studio 2003 or 2005 while the 2008 and up are infected so they wont produce compatible executables.  I was using Open Source software and before that i was using Borland Delphi before Micrsoft destroyed that company you should know that .net is developed by the people who where working for Borland but now they became more evil...   So to answer your question sir the new versions of .net are not compatible as the version of visual studio 6 because they are infected for example the MSVCRT.DLL is not the same for Visual studio 2002 2003 2005 2008 2015 etc  i was considerign MSVCRT a core library and yet Microsoft does not even allow people to redistribute it thats why they made the so called redistributables its really annoying in order to make a simple program to have to distribute or ask the clients to install many other libraries like .net or even the C++ Runtimes depending on the version this is some stupid thing that exists in my opinion sir. 

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

From my perspective, you do not need any investigation or so from Microsoft. You bought a box of their product. They sold it for you tu use it. You have the license key and the box seems to be a full version (so no academic version with limited rights). It is exactly that product that we used in the past to produce commercial software.

I fear that you will not get any more information from Microsoft. But what I saw in my country always was quite positive: Microsoft has no interest in getting their users in front of court. So when people was selling wrong licenses, Microsoft often gave users real licenses for the invalid licenses. So this is something which would make me quite confident when I bought a box of Visual Studio 2002 in the past.

Regarding the target platform: Yes, after your description I agree with you, that Visual Studio 6 should be the best development platform for you. Visual Studio 2013 / 2015 can only support Windows XP binaries. Not sure what other applications will support. Of course: newer versions of the compiler could be nice because they will support newer C++ standards which is something that I would always recommend. But you have to keep the view on your customers and you simply have to produce software that they could use.

And now I even understand why you are a that mad at Microsoft. :) But your situation is something that a lot of people no longer have in focus. That is a shame but can be easily explained - companies want to earn money and they focus on areas where they earn most money.

I can understand that my personal view is not a big help for you because you wanted a leagl information from Microsoft. But I fear that you cannot get that. If you still do not want to use the license that you bought (I am really sure that you own this license from your description and it should work when you install it. It shoud work without registration so just skip that.) then the only possible way would be a lawyer that reads the license agreement that should be part of the box, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad 

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:35 PM
  • Hi ManSpyr,

Thanks for your post.

>>I want to Buy Visual C++ 6 Where can i buy it ?

I am afraid you can't by the Visual C++ 6 . As far as I know, Microsoft doesn't support Visual C++ 6 now.

And the new version is Visual Studio 2015.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/vs-2015-product-editions.aspx

And every version of Visual Studio has its' own operation system requirement. So not all versions of windows can support the Visual Studio.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:50 AM