Understanding Raw Push Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell my why a raw push notification sent from a web service would be dropped by WNS? I am examining the notification response headers, and everything is okay except the fact that the notification is dropped: device is connected, channel was not revoked, and channel was not throttled (another mystery topic related to WNS, but for a different post).

The page discussing response headers merely says "The notification was explicitly dropped because of an error or because the client has explicitly rejected these notifications." I'm going to hazard a guess that the client has not explicitly rejected notifications, so I guess I'd like more information as to what "error" might occur.

Thanks.

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Drayle,

We don't have more specific information about what happened than is documented in that page. It does not imply a problem on your end that you can affect by changing the app server. Is this question primarily theoretical or are you seeing a large number of dropped notifications?

Channelthrottled means that the app server sent too many notifications in too short a period. The exact details are tuned over time with the goal to block spam without affecting legitimate usage patterns. Again, if you are getting frequently throttled with legitimate push patterns we'd be interested in knowing.

--Rob

Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:08 AM
  • I do get the occasional throttled channel, but I'm more concerned with plain drops. I think the issue is due to clients disabling lock screen access for the app (our raw notifications are always handled in the background), but we're still investigating that possibility and will report back here.

p.s. This is an IM app, which I believe is one of the 'suggested' usage patterns for raw push notifications on Microsoft's overview page. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I am seeing relatively large number of dropped notifications, but it doesn't seem likely that the clients are disabling background access for the app, because they do receive some notifications. Whereas if background access were disabled they shouldn't successfully receive any notifications.
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:44 PM