none
Windows 7 development? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that Project Server 2010 RTM can't be installed on top of Windows 7 any longer. Is this so and if so; why? The beta worked fine and as far as I can see the prerequisites are roughly the same for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server. I wanted to try some stuff out on my local SharePoint installation (which is great) but now it seems I can't because the installer is blocking installation.

MCTS in Web Application Development in .NET 2.0
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Check this statement from the SDK: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms512767(office.14).aspx

Development on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer is supported by using the front-end Project Server ASMX Web services, or by using WCF services through a PSI proxy assembly or proxy file. For more information about developing applications for Project Server, see Prerequisites for ASMX-Based Code Samples and Prerequisites for WCF-Based Code Samples.

Development and deployment of solutions that include workflows or customizations of Project Web App, by using Visual Studio 2010, is supported only on a Project Server computer. Project Server does not use a separate client object model for development and deployment from Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the details. I don't get them entirely though. It says there's no client object model for Windows 7 / Vista, but it doesn't state that installation isn't possible. As I understand, I can develop for Project Server through the web services which would be hosted on a Windows Server machine then? There's no way to do a local client install and use that, even for just development?

I'm sorry I didn't get it at once, English isn't my native language :)

If the above is correct, I still wonder why. Since MS did try hard to make the platforms more alike to support local development. I was thrilled that SharePoint 2010 now offers that option, but if Project doesn't it's back to building VM's again apparantly, too bad.

MCTS in Web Application Development in .NET 2.0
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:57 PM