none
What are the grid controls for vb.net? I know a few for the web, but now want to write an app. RRS feed

• Question

• I need a grid control so that  I can

1. populate  one column with file names  that  I get from searching a directory

2. let the user write a description of some of those files (what they are for) in another  column

3. delete any rows that  he's not interested in

What is the best vb.net  control for this little utility I want to write?

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:08 PM

Answers

2. let the user write a description of some of those files (what they are for) in another  column

I think you'll probably want to start with a class that will hold all of the data, allow you to add, remove, edit, etc., and have a method which will generate a DataTable from the data.

With that - through a BindingSource (not essential, but recommended) - use a DataGridView for the users to view the data.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:28 PM

The DataGridView control meets those requirements:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/winforms/controls/datagridview-control-overview-windows-forms

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:36 PM
  • Conceptually speaking if you want to use say a text file look at this. It's simple, comma delimited rows of information.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtGAgKKpqdWjiHHqExRmEKkS-Djg

Code was done in VS2015.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:46 PM

All replies

I think you'll probably want to start with a class that will hold all of the data, allow you to add, remove, edit, etc., and have a method which will generate a DataTable from the data.

With that - through a BindingSource (not essential, but recommended) - use a DataGridView for the users to view the data.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:28 PM

The DataGridView control meets those requirements:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/winforms/controls/datagridview-control-overview-windows-forms

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:36 PM
  • Conceptually speaking if you want to use say a text file look at this. It's simple, comma delimited rows of information.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtGAgKKpqdWjiHHqExRmEKkS-Djg

Code was done in VS2015.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:46 PM