How to take VM Role backup to VHD file. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using VHD image, we hosted a VM role on Azure. But after some time we installed some s/w and configuration changes in VM. Now we want to replicate the same to another hosting services and also keep a copy of it to restore when needed.

Please let me know is it possible to take updated OS (the full VM) to an VHD image. So I can use it further.

Many Thanks,
    Thirumalai M

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:59 AM

Answers

• Currently you can't accomplish this. You'll need to re-prep a new vm image with the additional software and deploy it.

Also, keep in mind that if your existing vm role is recylced, you'll loose the changes you made after its deployment. VM roles are stateless. So they will not retain any changes in the event they are restarted.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:59 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. So to clarify...

You will have seperate subscriptions for each business unit within your organization. And you are preparing a baseline/template VM image and uploading that to Azure Storage. When a business units wants to create a new VM image, you want them to use that baseline/template version as there starting point.

This poses a couple challenges. For the VM image to be customized, you can't have fully sys-prepped (as I understand it), so whomever is customizing the image will need to make the changes and sys-prep the image. This will require them to download the image from the storage account, then upload the sys-prepped image. Moving a total of a 130gb into and out the cloud, while not exactly costly ($9.75 us/europe, $13.00 asia) it is fairly time consuming.

Storing of each image would also be an additional $9.75 per month + associated storage transactions fees for each time it is accessed.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:33 PM
  • >>> Is it possible or I need to upload image for each VM role?

Not for each VM role but will need to upload image for each subscription. Currently the VM image is bound to the subscription.

>>> Does the storage account usage is charged which I uploaded for the image?

See Windows Azure Platform Consumption:

- You will also incur charges at our normal storage rates for the costs incurred to store your VHD image.

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:36 AM

All replies

• Currently you can't accomplish this. You'll need to re-prep a new vm image with the additional software and deploy it.

Also, keep in mind that if your existing vm role is recylced, you'll loose the changes you made after its deployment. VM roles are stateless. So they will not retain any changes in the event they are restarted.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Hi BrentDaCodeMonkey,

Thanks for your information. It is very important to know as VM role will recycle changes, it is better to do the change in VHD and deploy it.

I have one more query on this. Pls clarify..

1. I have many subscription for our organisation and each subscription will be alloted for separate Business Unit (for ex). My requirement I have prepared VHD and uploaded to Azure Storage. So whenever some one want to create VM Role based on the image I wanted to use the same storage account uploaded.

For Ex: I have a base image where I have installed some of the important s/w required for our organisation. If one BU asking for creating VM Role, I wanted to create on that subscription alloted and point to one VHD on storate service. Is it possible or I need to upload image for each VM role?

2. Does the storage account usage is charged which I uploaded for the image? Because it uses almost 65 GB, have issue holding that much in storage and pay for it.

Many Thanks,

Thirumalai M

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:40 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. So to clarify...

You will have seperate subscriptions for each business unit within your organization. And you are preparing a baseline/template VM image and uploading that to Azure Storage. When a business units wants to create a new VM image, you want them to use that baseline/template version as there starting point.

This poses a couple challenges. For the VM image to be customized, you can't have fully sys-prepped (as I understand it), so whomever is customizing the image will need to make the changes and sys-prep the image. This will require them to download the image from the storage account, then upload the sys-prepped image. Moving a total of a 130gb into and out the cloud, while not exactly costly ($9.75 us/europe, $13.00 asia) it is fairly time consuming.

Storing of each image would also be an additional $9.75 per month + associated storage transactions fees for each time it is accessed.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:33 PM
  • >>> Is it possible or I need to upload image for each VM role?

Not for each VM role but will need to upload image for each subscription. Currently the VM image is bound to the subscription.

>>> Does the storage account usage is charged which I uploaded for the image?

See Windows Azure Platform Consumption:

- You will also incur charges at our normal storage rates for the costs incurred to store your VHD image.

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Thanks BrentDaCodeMonkey and zwc2,

My queries got answers by you.

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:56 AM