none
configure ethernet to parallel and vice versa converter RRS feed

• Question

• I want use ethernet to parallel converter,to send and receive data to an external hardware how can I configure IP for it.
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:28 AM

Answers

• I want use ethernet to parallel converter,to send and receive data to an external hardware how can I configure IP for it.

What does that have to do with visual basic? If I'm not mistaken the adapter can probably be configured to accept DHCP from a DHCP server or have its IP stack configured with a subnet mask, IP address, DNS server address (although why it would need a DNS address is beyond me) and you should be able to plug it into a router or ethernet hub or with a crossover cable directly to an available ethernet port on a DNS server if its using DNS or directly to your PC if its IP address and stuff are hardcoded into its configuration.

If you're talking about writing an app to send data via ethernet to the ethernet to parallel port converter to communicate with the end device then you need to find out what protocol the end device uses to communicate as well as what command structure you have to use with it to talk to it. After you figure out how to set up the ethernet to parallel converter device.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:09 AM

All replies

• Your question can be interpreted a few different ways.  I'm tying to understand your question a little better so please answer the following questions

1) What type of interface is on the external hardware.  You said parallel.  Did that refer to the connector or you wanted to simultaneously read and write more than one device.

2) How many ethernet connectors are on your PC?

3) How many computers are you planning to use.

If your configuration is using just using ehternet you probably need an ethernet hub which routes one ethernet cable to many devices.

jdweng

Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:56 AM

What does that have to do with visual basic? If I'm not mistaken the adapter can probably be configured to accept DHCP from a DHCP server or have its IP stack configured with a subnet mask, IP address, DNS server address (although why it would need a DNS address is beyond me) and you should be able to plug it into a router or ethernet hub or with a crossover cable directly to an available ethernet port on a DNS server if its using DNS or directly to your PC if its IP address and stuff are hardcoded into its configuration.

If you're talking about writing an app to send data via ethernet to the ethernet to parallel port converter to communicate with the end device then you need to find out what protocol the end device uses to communicate as well as what command structure you have to use with it to talk to it. After you figure out how to set up the ethernet to parallel converter device.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 8:09 AM