It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. RRS feed

• Question

• User865450124 posted

I've searched around for a soltuion which seems to allows point to creating a virtual directory. However...

1. Since 2009 when I started this project, I've never encountered this problem.

2. I can't find simple instructions on how to create a virtual directory.

I'm using MS Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web

If you provide instructions, please include specific clicks and menu functions to use (ex WEBSITE > START OPTIONS, VIEW > TASKLIST, etc.)

Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:09 PM

Answers

• User-1716253493 posted

If the folder is an application : right click the site => add application instead of add virtual directory

If you already have virual directory : right click virtual directory => convert to application

The error because you have web.config inside the virtual directory, the web.config indicate that the folder is an application.

But you have not set the virtual directory as an application, you only set the folder as general virtual directory.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:36 PM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi dch3,

WHERE do I right click? In Windows Explorer? VS Express  for Web? Another app?

In the IIS manager.

If you want to use the VS to create an application or virtual directory, please follow up these steps:

1. File=>New=Web Site
    2. Click browser button in the New Web Site wizard
    3. Select Local IIS

http://1drv.ms/1p7VPgY

Thanks

Best Regards

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:30 PM

All replies

• User-1716253493 posted

If the folder is an application : right click the site => add application instead of add virtual directory

If you already have virual directory : right click virtual directory => convert to application

The error because you have web.config inside the virtual directory, the web.config indicate that the folder is an application.

But you have not set the virtual directory as an application, you only set the folder as general virtual directory.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:36 PM
  • User865450124 posted

PLEASE BE EXTREMELY EXPLICITY IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Monday, May 19, 2014 7:34 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi dch3,

In the IIS manager.

If you want to use the VS to create an application or virtual directory, please follow up these steps:

1. File=>New=Web Site
    2. Click browser button in the New Web Site wizard
    3. Select Local IIS

http://1drv.ms/1p7VPgY

Thanks

Best Regards

Monday, May 19, 2014 11:30 PM
  • User865450124 posted

That's for VS Express for Web? There's no wizard that's started when I create a new website.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:11 AM
  • User-1454326058 posted

Hi dch3,

That's for VS Express for Web? There's no wizard that's started when I create a new website.

Maybe that isn’t the wizard. When click new web site, it will display a window (Title is New Web site).

http://1drv.ms/1odiDfa

Thanks

Best Regards              

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:33 PM