none
Exporting data from Ms project to Excel hiding summary tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am exporting a project from MS project 2013 to excel and I would like to export only the tasks and not the summary bars.

I can't just hide them and copy and past as I need to use the dates and excel doesn't recognise the format if I do this

I tried to insert the column "Flag1", populate with "yes" or "no" when need it and export it but the filtering is not working and I don't know why so I always end up exporting the summary tasks and not the individual tasks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

P.s.: the weird thing is that I did it some time ago after some hours of experimenting but I can't remember how. I am pretty sure it was using the "flag1" thing but....I might be doing some wrong this time and it's just a matter of a tinny stupid mistake.

Monday, July 8, 2013 4:41 PM

All replies

• tokor13,

I don't have Project 2013 but I'm guessing it's the same as Project 2010 and earlier with regard to export maps, which is what I assume you are using.

Export maps export all tasks but you can limit the fields that are exported. Copy and paste is different. That will "export" only the data that you copy. You could export select data using a VBA macro but I don't think that is necessary for what you want to do. Go ahead and export the fields you want. Then filter, sort or hide the summary line data in Excel. You can use the Summary field as the filter/sort criteria.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, July 8, 2013 5:59 PM
  • It should be simple.

You can leverage OOB "Summary" column. Add in the view. For summary task it would have value as Yes.

You can use Save As xlsx format, create a new map and add the name, start, finish, etc. column you need with summary column while saving. Now you will find the xlsx has this column and you can now filter.

Also you can use OOB with outline code level value. The summary task will have value as 1.

Monday, July 8, 2013 6:09 PM