none
Excel Add-in - Application freezes on exit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having an issue on excel close up. 

There is a custom add-in installed and on excel application exit, the window is freezing and process has to be killed
    I am using Excel 2013 and the add-in has been developped with Visual Studio 2005.
    Using Visual Studio Debugger there is no failing in the ShutDown method of the add-in code.
    Also tried to trace the Excel on application close but still there is nothing in the log file.

Let me know if I can use another method to narrow down the isssueor any solution to this issue.

Thank you.

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hello hatney,

Do you develop a document or application-level Excel add-in?

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created clean add-in project? Does it work as expected?

What is the target framework of your add-in?

Finally, make sure that you release all underlying COM objects instantly. Use System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject to release an Excel object when you have finished using it. Then set a variable to Nothing in Visual Basic (null in C#) to release the reference to the object.

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Eugene.

Its an application level add-in and the issue happens even with after a clean and rebuild.

Target framework is 2.0, but it is set to use later versions.

I tried the releaseComObject but no effect. Any other ideas ?

Thanks again

• Edited by hatney Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:56 AM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Hi Hatney,

As far as I know, every add-in runs in their own domain. The most of exception of add-in willn't cash the Excel application.

Did this issue occur when you disabled this add-in?

If not, I suggest that you repair or update the Excel application to see whether this issue was fixed.

If yes, would you mind sharing a code sample to help us to reproduce the issue?

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 10, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi Fei,

Can you give me your email address so I can send you the file ?

I noticed the close event in excel is not even reaching the beginShutDown function.

Thanks

Monday, October 20, 2014 12:09 AM
  • Hi hateny,

We are not able to public the email addres on the forum based on the policy. I suggest that you upload the file via OneDrive, so that other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

And please remove the sensitive information before you uploading the file.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:09 AM