Problems upgrading VSPackage to VS2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I created a brand new vm with Win7 sp1, VS2012 pro and VS2012 sdk on it.

Open my plugin for VS2010 and prompted to upgrade. After open up the solution, I have to replace the Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.10.0 with Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.11.0, but after that, I still get errors like  "The type or namespace name 'InstalledProductRegistrationAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)" Almost feel like the shell dll wasn't referenced correctly.

Another thing is the header file msobtnid.h referenced in vsct doesn't exist. Do I have to have Office installed to get this header?

Any help is appreciated!

Jillaint

jillaint

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:14 AM

Answers

• msobtnid.h is being deprecated, you should not use it any longer as VS will not ship the multi-meg resource dll that contains the hundreds of images it describes in Dev12 and beyond. The alternative is to use the redistributed/redistributable VS image library which has all of those icons in it and you can embed them directly in your dll.

Ryan

• Proposed as answer by Ego Jiang Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• I figured out part of the issues. I have to target 4.5 framework. After that, all the errors about type not found disappeared. But I still have problem with msobtnid.h.

jillaint

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Hi Jillaint,

I can reproduce your issue also. It works well now after I added the msobtnid.h to Visual Studio SDK installation path\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\Inc.

You also can add it to your Visual Studio SDK installation path\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\Inc folder.

And you can find out it by searching in your machine.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Ego Jiang Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Hi Ego,

Thanks for your reply. I have it commented out for now because I noticed the vspackage generated in Vs2012 doesn't have that header file by default. I'll try your solution if I have problem with the menu later.

Thanks again!

jillaint

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:23 PM
  • msobtnid.h is being deprecated, you should not use it any longer as VS will not ship the multi-meg resource dll that contains the hundreds of images it describes in Dev12 and beyond. The alternative is to use the redistributed/redistributable VS image library which has all of those icons in it and you can embed them directly in your dll.

Ryan

• Proposed as answer by Ego Jiang Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ego Jiang Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Thanks Ryan!

jillaint

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi Jillaint,

I'm glad that Ryan's answer is useful to you.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 31, 2012 9:38 AM