is there an equivalent of Stream Analytics for on-premise usage? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

in my company we cant use the cloud, by law its not possible.

So I'm looking the the Azure Stream analytics features on premise.

I'm really looking for a system which do EXACTLY what Azure is doing, everything is running, its just a bunch of config to setup. No code.

StreamInsight is NOT Azure Stream Analytics. maybe there is a tool which encapsulate it to make it running like Azure. (setup inputs by config, create queries and fill outputs, etc...)

finally I have to support SQL Server as my main input (followed by the IIS logs and windows event logs)

thanks for your guides!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:38 PM

Answers

• I will take your feedback into consideration, but at this time the ASA product's focus is on near real time event processing.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Willgart

Microsoft released a complex event processing engine called streaminsight many years ago that runs on premise. it was not widely taken up as it did require  a lot of C# code (complex for many SQL developers). A lot or the stream analytics that Microsoft uses is provided by third party platforms such as hortonworks which is a Hadoop implementer. if you are comfortable with that then you can look at running Apache storm which is on of the components of the hadood ecosystem.  

They have pre build VM's that you can use to get started.

Microsoft will also soon release a product call polybase that will make integrating SQL server and Hadoop much easier. 

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

We are also very keen for such functionality i.e. on premise processing of Stream Analytics query.

We tried StreamInsight but it wasn't flexible enough as our queries are designed by end users on run time, similarly the payload is also selected on run time.

We are using Stream Analytics but in some use cases part of the processing has to be done on-premise.

At a recent Microsoft round table, someone from Microsoft team told me that soon the engine behind the Test button of Stream Analytics query editor will be available as on premise, i guess he was pointing towards the IOT gateway which can do some transformations on-premise. 

Does anyone know more about it? or can tell us if above is true?

Ali

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:01 AM
  • cost effective is  real-time event processing engine that helps to unlock deep insights from data. Stream Analytic makes it easy to set up real-time analytic computations on data streaming from devices, sensors, web sites, social media, applications, infrastructure systems, and more.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:46 AM
  • Does the query need to run real time, or you just want the same temporal semantics to process rows in a SQL table, and IIS log entries?
    Friday, November 6, 2015 3:55 AM
  • no real time needs for now.

I want to scan sql table etc... so "historical" data more than realtime.

Friday, November 6, 2015 3:58 AM
  • I will take your feedback into consideration, but at this time the ASA product's focus is on near real time event processing.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 6:00 AM
  • Ali, you scenario seems to be near real time. Perhaps you can help me understand your scenario better. Where are the input events from? Where is the output sink? Do you want to run the query on a server or cluster processing large amount of events, or it's small amount of events processed on a gateway device?
    Friday, November 6, 2015 6:03 AM