none
Execution of atomated test cases with Generic Test in MTM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I Have automated a test case by using a generic test case with the help of TFS object model and a Visual Studion plugin.

My program creates a test case under specified project and then cretaes a generic test case and then associates that to the test case. I could  see the status of the test case "automated" in MTM but some how it's failing to execute  test.

I understand that generic test cases are being stored some where in TFS database servers.

MTM is getting the generic test cases from TFS in order to  execute it when the associated build is kicked off.

Please help me to know where does those generic test cases are being saved in TFS when associated to some test cases.

How MTM is piking them to execute? MTM is not using testsettings file to execute, but how does it execute the generic test cases?

Thanks

Mougeelita

I'm getting the following error:

Input file not found: \\Server01\TFSBuilds\WindowsFormsApplication1.BuildandTest\WindowsFormsApplication1.BuildandTest_20120510.11\215.GenericTest.

• Edited by moulis Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Mougeelita,

You may first time use MTM run automated test. MTM run automated test involve many tech, contain team build, version control, test case, lab management. I suggest you go through the articles i post in the reply, ao that you will know how MTM run automated test.

For the update questions, you need configure lab that you can create physical/virtual environment, test setting to run test.

You put test cases undera team project as a workItem. But you need put the whole project to version control, because team build just can build item you add to version control. You need team build, because MTM run automated test do need team build.

So, i recommand you go through all the articles carefully, then you will know the test detail information, then you will know what you need to do.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by moulis Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:18 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Mougeelita,

Thank you for your post.

Seems you want use MTM run geniric test. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

MTM do support run generic tests. Generic test is one type of automated tests, MTM support run automated tests, you need to do following things generally.
    1. Add generic tests to TFS version control. For detail information, you can refer to Placing Files under Version Control. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms245454.aspx
    2. Use TFS build build generic tests. For detail information, you can refer to Building the Application. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181709
    3. In VS, associate generic tests with a test case. For detail information, you can refer to How to: Associate an Automated Test with a Test Case. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380741
    4. In MTM, create a test plan to cantain the test case. Create test setting, environment in MTM Lab center to run the test. Set the test plan property to use build, test setting, environment. At last, run the test. For detail information, you can refer to How to: Run Automated Tests from a Test Plan Using Microsoft Test Manager. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd553270

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Hi Lily Wu,

I' admire your reply for my query. I'm in the way of doing those things, but some the points are not clear. I do request you to clarify

1. I've created a test case (test1 )programatically using TFS api (as simple as a manula test case) under a specific team project as a work item in TFS server

2. I've created a generic test (mygeneric.generic )programatically using TFS api.

3. I've associated the mygeneric.generic to  test1 programatically to automate the test case test1.

4. In MTM i've associated the  test1 to a test plan. Now i'm stuck what to do ?

Do i need to create environment in MTM lab center?

and i did not understand your point "Add generic tests to TFS version control". Currently i'm adding the test cases undera team project as a workItem.

Should i add mygeneric.generic  to the TFS version control?

and also other point "Use TFS build build generic tests"..   we knew that generic tests are xml files. so.. could you please explain what does it mean to build generic tests?

Thanks & Regards

Mougeelita

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Hi Mougeelita,

You may first time use MTM run automated test. MTM run automated test involve many tech, contain team build, version control, test case, lab management. I suggest you go through the articles i post in the reply, ao that you will know how MTM run automated test.

For the update questions, you need configure lab that you can create physical/virtual environment, test setting to run test.

You put test cases undera team project as a workItem. But you need put the whole project to version control, because team build just can build item you add to version control. You need team build, because MTM run automated test do need team build.

So, i recommand you go through all the articles carefully, then you will know the test detail information, then you will know what you need to do.

Best regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by moulis Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:18 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Thank you very much for the suggestions..and it seems my doubts are getting cleared.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:18 AM