Azurestack TP2 install failing . Invocation of step 60.61 failed RRS feed

• Question

• Am trying to install TP2 and have encountered an error which occurs after the line :-

VERBOSE: 1> Step: Status of step 'Phase 3 -configureVMs-Part2" is "error". - 11/1/2016 5:26:06AM

Invoke-eceaction : 1> Action: Invocation of step 60.61 failed . stopping invocation of action plan - 11/1/2016 5:26:06

at line:1 char:1

I re-ran again with the command invoke-eceaction -rolepath Cloud -ActionType Deployment -Verbose -Start 60

But this also fails at the same point.

Looking at the logs in c:\clouddeployment\logs these just to repeat what is displayed on the screen but the last few lines look like this where the problems start

Task: Status of action "deplolyment-phase3-wossdeployment" of role Cloud is "Success"

Step: Status step "phase 3" -configurevms-part1 is error

Invocation of step 60.61 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan.

I making a guess that if step 60 can be manually fixed , we might be able to start from step 61 onwards and continue?

Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:15 AM

Answers

•   Clarification: Public IP's are not required by Azure Stack. 2 private NAT IP addresses assigned via DHCP or statically are all that is required.

Azure Stack requires access to the Internet, either directly or through a transparent proxy.

Azure Stack does not support the configuration of a web proxy to enable Internet access.

Both the host IP and the new IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01 (by DHCP or static IP) must be able to access Internet. Ports 80 and 443 are used under the graph.windows.net and login.windows.net domains.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please follow the following steps:

From an elevated command prompt on the HOST, logged in as azurestack\azurestackadmin, run the following commands:

Import-Module C:\CloudDeployment\CloudDeployment.psd1 -Force

Import-Module C:\CloudDeployment\ECEngine\EnterpriseCloudEngine.psd1 -Force

Invoke-EceAction -RolePath Cloud -ActionType Deployment -Start 60.61.93 -Verbose

Reference: http://aka.ms/azurestackrerundeploy

Regards,
    Neelesh

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Unfortunately this didn't work.

The error displayed within the command prompt is :-

Step Status of step "phase 3 - configureVMs-part1" is "error". 11/2/2016 4:01:09 AM

Invoke-eceaction : 1> action invocation of step 60.61 failed.Stopping nvocation of action plan 11/2/2016 4:01:09AM

Action status of "deployment-phase2-configurestack" is error 11/2/2016 4:01:09AM

Complete Task cloud - Deployment-Phase2-configurestack

Task: status of step "phase2 - configureVMs" is error" - 11/2/2016 4:01:09AM

Invoke-eceaction : Action : invocation of step 60 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan

I see there is a similar thread as well , possibly the same issue?

Judging by the progress bar at the top, it looks to be around 50% complete is buiding out the infrastructure VMs

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:25 AM
  • IS there anywhere else I can get support for this?

I do appreciate that this is BETA. Looks like a few of us here are having issues around step 60.61 or thereabouts.

Are we missing a prerequisite?

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Are you ok with network prerequisite? I had same problem but was network issue, resolved with public ip of host and bgpnat01

Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Hello icecore, I also guess it may be the network issue, but I have no idea how to configure BGPNAT01 behind a corporate proxy.

Could you please kindly give me some advice about your resolution?

Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi Evelyne

if you are behind a corporate proxy, you must configure it as transparent proxy, otherwise it won't work.

Another solution is to have public or natted ip, at least one for the host and one for bgpnat01

Cheers

Icecore

• Edited by icecore Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:39 PM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Thank you so much for the advice!

While I have never configured a transparent proxy before, is there any reference? 

Since my environment is through a springboard server, I haven't the authority to configure the proxy server. And as BGPNAT01 cannot access internet, neither can I get a public IP.

Friday, December 2, 2016 2:23 AM
  • Yes

the most used is squid with the transparent proxy option enabled.

You have only this two options at the moment, if you have a proxy it must be in transparent mode, otherwise public ip.If you can have the host with a public ip, you can configure it for granting access to the outside world to bgpnat01.

Cheers

Icecore

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Just to provide an update to the multiple questions on this thread.

First of all, for the original poster. Please can you try deploying again using the November refresh of TP2 as there were numerous deployment fixes in this build.

With regards to connectivity and proxy guidance you can find details here : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-stack/azure-stack-deploy#network

If you are still having issues after this please create a new thread.

Thanks

Daniel.

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Taken a while to get back but have reinstalled using the November update of TP2.

I get the same issue again , namely :-

"step : Status of step 'Phase 3 - configurevms-part1' is 'error' - 12/2/2016 10:26:53

invoke-eceaction : 1> action:invocation of step 60.61 failed. stopping invocvation of action plan

I will look at the proxy information as per the previous answer and see if that helps.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

If you confirm that your proxy settings are good and it is still failing then please send us an email at ascustfeedback@microsoft.com, and we will set up a workspace where you can upload the logs for us to analyze.

Thanks

Daniel.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Reading through that link you provided, I think the issue may well be a combination of proxy and DNS resolution.

So If I reading this right, we should be able to communicate to the following

graph.windows.net ports 80 / 443

login.windows.net ports 80 / 443

vortex-win.data.microsoft.com port 443

The DNS server for the Azurestack install is 192.168.200.6 but this is unable to resolve these names.

If I get the Ip address for these dns names elsewhere and attempt to telnet to them by IP , they fail so this confirms to me that this is the issue.

I will get our network team to open up these ports .Hopefully that works. If DNS is still an sisue, will place these in a host file as a work around.

A suggestion for possible later versions is that the install script that runs from the vhd that is booted from does a check for these ~(and any other requirements) so you know at the start whether this is expected to work or not.

Will report back once we have the rules opened up in our firewall.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Am trying to install TP2 and have encountered an error which occurs after the line :-

VERBOSE: 1> Step: Status of step 'Phase 3 -configureVMs-Part2" is "error". - 11/1/2016 5:26:06AM

Invoke-eceaction : 1> Action: Invocation of step 60.61 failed . stopping invocation of action plan - 11/1/2016 5:26:06

at line:1 char:1

I re-ran again with the command invoke-eceaction -rolepath Cloud -ActionType Deployment -Verbose -Start 60

But this also fails at the same point.

Looking at the logs in c:\clouddeployment\logs these just to repeat what is displayed on the screen but the last few lines look like this where the problems start

Task: Status of action "deplolyment-phase3-wossdeployment" of role Cloud is "Success"

Step: Status step "phase 3" -configurevms-part1 is error

Invocation of step 60.61 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan.

I making a guess that if step 60 can be manually fixed , we might be able to start from step 61 onwards and continue?

Any ideas?

I'm also having problems with this step

My host have a class B adress 172.16.xx.xx with DHCP enabled.

When i browse the diffrent vm's i find the following (that i suspect have something to do with my problem)

Also, I can't connect to either of the VM's using "Connect" in Hyper-V so there is no simple way for me to set static ip's on the machines. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

I have full capabilities to create new networks that I can attach to the host with basically any settings i want.

(Host is running on 12 cores and 200 gigs of RAM)

Regards

Daniel

Studied Cloud Computing Engineer. Curious about Azure Stack

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Deleted
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Jeroen, that is EXACTLY the same error message that I have.

As per the MS's suggestion , been asked to verify the proxy settings / transparent proxy.

So I did a check for the following

graph.windows.net ports 80 / 443

login.windows.net ports 80 / 443

vortex-win.data.microsoft.com port 443

and found tat I could NOT telnet to those (or resolve them either) so that must be the stumbling block here. As i using a lab environment at my place of work, my network team are now in the process of setting up with a transparent proxy now.

So I would suggest seeing if you can get to those and if no, that's probably your problem, like me.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:27 AM
  • Deleted
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

We don’t use a transparent proxy server at our company. The networking team setup a VLAN with direct internet connection (80/443).

Am I overlooking something here. I thought the MASBGPNAT01 was responsible for the networking part within MAS. As you can see below (all URLs are accessible):

I did the following, installed an pfSense router that i connected the host to, thereby creating my own class C network with DHCP on 192.168.1.x/24, now all my machines, inc MAS-Gwy01 and MAS-BGNAT01 now have "internet" access, although I'm not finished with my deployment yet it looks more promising from a networking point of view :)

Make sure that MAC-adress spoofing is enabled on the Hyper-V host

Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:14 AM
  • Deleted
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:15 AM
  • Hi Jeroen

Unfortunately no, I've done a new fresh install and this time it fails on this step every time :(

I'm trying to find a "IP-network map" but I can't find it anywhere, maybe someone here have any idea on what ip's is supposed to be assigned and witch IP's should be static?

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Try giving the  bgpnat01 a fixed ip

use this parameters after the command for the installation

.\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -NatIPv4Subnet x.x.x.x/zz -NatIPv4Address x.x.x.x -NatIPv4DefaultGateway x.x.x.x

this will configure bgpnat01 with an ip, instead of using dhcp

the ip must be public, or it should be able to connect to the internet trhought a transparent proxy.

Cheers

Icecore

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Try giving the  bgpnat01 a fixed ip

use this parameters after the command for the installation

.\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -NatIPv4Subnet x.x.x.x/zz -NatIPv4Address x.x.x.x -NatIPv4DefaultGateway x.x.x.x

this will configure bgpnat01 with an ip, instead of using dhcp

the ip must be public, or it should be able to connect to the internet trhought a transparent proxy.

Cheers

Icecore

Hi Icecore and thanks for your suggestion!

I've enabled Transparent Proxy on my firewall and will se if this helps :)

If I'm understanding you correctly i should use .\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -NatIPv4Subnet 255.255.255.0/24 -NatIPv4Address 192.168.1.106 -NatIPv4DefaultGateway 192.168.1.1

(my firewall got the ip 192.168.1.1 and uses DHCP on that interface)

I've noticed that some of the advice regarding reinstall using -rerun i should always start on the task that failed, are you suggesting a complete re-install from scratch?

Can't I just manually set the static ip on bgpnat01?

Cheers!

Monday, December 12, 2016 9:48 AM
  • natipv4subnet is about the ip of the subnet not the mask

so if you are using the network 192.168.1.0/24 and you want bgpnat01 to have ip 192.168.1.106 and gateway is 192.168.1.1

the command is

.\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -NatIPv4Subnet 192.168.1.0/24 -NatIPv4Address 192.168.1.106 -NatIPv4DefaultGateway 192.168.1.1

you could as last try, configuring the ip manually on bgpnat01 and try a rerun, but if this doesn't work try reinstalling from scratch with network parameters

Cheers

Icecore

Monday, December 12, 2016 9:56 AM
  • Hi

Of course (it's still early on Monday for me) ;)

I mistype'd regarding the ip's :)

I'll give it a try! (5th time i'm re'installing from scratch but what the h*ll it just time..)

Cheers!

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:00 AM
  • natipv4subnet is about the ip of the subnet not the mask

so if you are using the network 192.168.1.0/24 and you want bgpnat01 to have ip 192.168.1.106 and gateway is 192.168.1.1

the command is

.\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -NatIPv4Subnet 192.168.1.0/24 -NatIPv4Address 192.168.1.106 -NatIPv4DefaultGateway 192.168.1.1

you could as last try, configuring the ip manually on bgpnat01 and try a rerun, but if this doesn't work try reinstalling from scratch with network parameters

Cheers

Icecore

Hi again :)

Just did a -Rerun install and lo and behold, it worked!

But I'm not sure the deployment worked as it should do, because I still can not connect to portal.azurestack.local from MAS-Con01..

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Is MAS-Con01 connected to the web?

it should reach internet trought bgpnat01, if you cannot surf, be shure to have transaprent proxy, and if yes reinstall from scratch

Cheers

Icecore

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:51 AM
  • Yeah, I guess I'm left with no other option than a complete reinstall :(

I have not Internet Access on MAS-Con01 but i do have it on bpgnat01, witch is kinda wierd, but I'll do a reinstall and se if this helps, thanks for your support!!

Cheers!

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:55 AM
  • Oh, just one more (hopefully) question, when configuring transparent proxy, do I need to include all subnets or should the 192.168.1.0/24 be enough?

Monday, December 12, 2016 10:57 AM
  • only the network of the host and MAS-BGPNAT01, not all the networks.

Cheers

Icecore

Monday, December 12, 2016 11:05 AM
  • Alright! Cheers!

Monday, December 12, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Andrew - Did your deployment complete successfully after your network team setup your 'Transparent Proxy'? It'd be great to know what the resolution was.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:53 PM
  • Hi

The issue with the proxy turned out to be a hardware / firmware issue with one of our switches. (very odd issue) but once that was sorted out, we are still no further so have not as of yet got Azurestack installed which is rather frustrating as our company are very keen to look at this. I'm getting some help on this from MS and I've uploaded deployment log files to see if a fix can be found. I know I'm not the only one having issues here.

My suggestion to MS (if you are reading this) is that the script does a more thorough check of requirements before it starts rather for you to wait a couple of hours before finding it cannot do something. I do appreciate its beta software and these bugs have to be ironed out though.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Not the same but in looks like a similar part of the install.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Andrew,

We have reviewed your logs and will be providing some commands/scripts to help us determine specifically what is blocking the Gateway VM 'MAS-BGPNAT01' from completing it's configuration/setup.  

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:59 PM
  • Andrew,
    The logs indicate it either:

1) Cannot resolve DNS
    2)  The IP on MAS-BGPNAT01 doesn't have access to the internet or is IP is misconfigured
    3) Time Zone (UTC) issue causing BGPNAT to have time out of sync with DC which can cause DNS to fail.

To troubleshoot the root cause:
    - On the Host open, an elevated Powershell session
    - Paste in the following commands and paste Output in your reply

Get-TimeZone
    net time \\$env:computername
    IPconfig /ALL
    ping 8.8.4.4
    ping Bing.com
    lookup MAS-DC01
    nslookup login.windows.net
    Enter-PSSession -ComputerName MAS-BGPNAT01
    Get-TimeZone
    net time \\MAS-BGPNAT01
    ipconfig /all
    ping 8.8.4.4
    ping Bing.com
    nslookup MAS-DC01
    exit
    Enter-PSSession -ComputerName MAS-DC01
    Get-TimeZone
    net time \\MAS-DC01
    ipconfig /all
    ping 8.8.4.4
    ping Bing.com
    exit

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:04 PM
  • apologies as I had to include pictures.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:28 PM
  • So my guess judging by the command you want me to run are that we need to get out to the internet as you're pinging 8.8.4.4. I can get out via our IE proxy but if this is now the issue, I will need to speak to our network colleagues again.

If there is anything else that looks amiss , also let me know. appreciate this.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Andrew,

Azure Stack is not supported on a 'Non Transparent Proxy' or 'IE Proxy'.  If you need to set the Proxy in IE, it is a 'Non Transparent' Proxy.
    Azure Stack is support on 'Transparent' Proxy.

As DHCP is not available in your environment, you must prepare an additional static IPv4 Address for MAS-BGPNAT01 in addition to the one used by host.
    You must provide that IP address and gateway as a deployment parameter.

Example:
    .\InstallAzureStackPOC.ps1 -AdminPassword $adminpass -AADAdminCredential $aadcred
    -NatIPv4Subnet 45.14.16.0/24 -NatIPv4Address 45.14.16.22 -NatIPv4DefaultGateway 45.14.16.1 -EnvironmentDNS 45.12.129.21

FYI - ICMP Ping not required and if blocked/filtered will not effect your deployment. Incoming Ports 80 & 443 need to be open on the internet facing NIC.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed reply .

This doesn't look like something we can deploy in the current environment that we have.

Our Lab is not directly connected to "the internet" and therefore has to go via a proxy. We have until now been making firewall changes for IP addresses that were required for azure authentication amongst others but as you can appreciate , this has been  painful process as we have had to create a firewall rule everytime something failed . The issue for us has been that we simply don't know what IP and ports need to be opened up (and suspect that is probably changing over time anyway potentially).

The other option for us is to place the server in a our DMZ which is obviously internet facing.

Is this what other people are doing? Is this really the location that MS would expect companies to place this environment?

Unfortunately , for security purposes our network and security departments will not allow direct access out to the internet under any circumstances. Internet traffic has to go via a proxy.

Would be interested in where we can go from here , if we can. Welcome your feedback on this

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:51 AM
  • at the moment the only options are transparent proxy or public/natted ip's that can connect directly to the internet

if you don't meet this network requirements the insatllation will fail.

Cheers

Icecore

• Edited by icecore Wednesday, January 25, 2017 2:40 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:19 AM
  •   Clarification: Public IP's are not required by Azure Stack. 2 private NAT IP addresses assigned via DHCP or statically are all that is required.

Azure Stack requires access to the Internet, either directly or through a transparent proxy.

Azure Stack does not support the configuration of a web proxy to enable Internet access.

Both the host IP and the new IP assigned to the MAS-BGPNAT01 (by DHCP or static IP) must be able to access Internet. Ports 80 and 443 are used under the graph.windows.net and login.windows.net domains.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Meant to reply to this forum.(I'm sure I've already replied in email) mainly for anyone else's benefit if it helps.

Given these requirements, it looks like for our organisation, that we will not be able to accomodate this.

The only place we could conceivably put this, is a DMZ.

We have security concerns about allowing an environmnet with internal hosted servers having direct access (or via a transparent proxy). We'd therefore be looking at a DMZ environment , that is however not where we had envisioned this product being placed . Putting all of this in a DMZ environment would create unwanted complexity.

I'm certianly interested in the type of organizations trying this out. Are you a happy security wise with this set up. have any concerns? Are you placing this in your DMZ ?

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:54 PM