Publish BizTalk as REST Service RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to publish my schema as wcf service,

is there a way to publish my schema as REST service using BT2016 ?

Please advise

RH

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:02 PM

All replies

• Just use the WCF-WebHttp adapter and expose an end point.  

There is no "publish" of a schema as there is no one standard for that.  So if you want to have a service description you need to write a custom behaviour that does so.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:00 PM
  • if I do this, using WCF-WebHTTP adapter it doesnt allow me to pick my Request and Response schemas.

How would I publish this service then without selecting the schema, it doesnt make sense if it just create a Receive location

Please advise

RH

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:11 PM
  • Like I said you don't "publish" a schema with REST.

You just need the appropriate pipeline components, either JSON or XML assembler / disassembler.

BizTalk does not create a WADL, Swagger or WSDL for REST as it is not required.

See RESTful Services - WSDL Equivalent

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:36 PM
  • But in HTTP Method and URL Mapping what is that I need to mention operation Name for method = POST ?

how I need to convince to the end user that the WCF Schema BizTalk published is REST service ?

Please advise

RH

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:00 PM
  • You only have Http Method and URL Mapping for a WCF-WebHttp Send port, not a receive location.

As you were talking about "publishing schemas" I assumed you were talking about a Receive Location, for which there is no Http Method and URL mapping.

Like I said, you do not expose a schema with a REST service, so you do not publish it.

You just give the end user the URL of the end point, any credentials they need, and what payload you expect. i.e. if it is JSON, XML or Flatfile.  And the structure you expect.

You may optionally tell them what HTTP method to use e.g. GET, POST, DEL or PATCH, if you are going to implement logic on that.  Otherwise just tell them POST if they are sending data and GET if they are retrieving it.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:08 PM
  • I see on 2 way Receive Location when created using WebHTTP adapter, it has HTTP Method and URL Mapping.
    So I am confused how to publish schema as a REST service ?

1) I create Request.xsd and Response.xsd schemas
    2) Use WCF Publishing wizard and have service url available which creates 2-way Receive Locations using WCF-BasicHTTP adapter

Now as per my understanding, you are suggesting to change from WCF-Basic HTTP to WCF-WebHTTP and provide OperationName and Method in it?
    And provide the same wcf service created to end user ?

If I do so, will this work and be called as BizTalk publishing as a service ?

RH

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:32 PM
  • If I publish my schema as WCF service using wizard that creates a Receive Response Location using WCF-BasicHTTP adapter, later manually change it too WCF-WebHTTP binding in admin console.

Then what is the point of saying or using WebHTTP adapter ? as it is doing the job by SOAP itself ? Where is REST coming into picture here ?

Please advise anyone

RH

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:53 AM
  • I followed below link where it explains using WCF-WebHTTP and rename Url. But that microsoft download is available only upto Windows Server 2012R2.

I am using BizTalk 2016 but when I download it says IIS incompatible.

IIS 7.0 or greater is required to install  IIS URL Rewrite Module 2

https://vkbiztalk.com/2017/06/17/convert-svc-url-to-rest-api-url/

Please advise

RH

• Edited by Dan2890 Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:03 AM a
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:00 AM