none
.Net 3.5 performance over .Net 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have my application developed in .net 2.0
    I would like to migrate to the higher version of .net 3.5 but not before knowing the performance benefits of .net 3.5 over 2.0
    Can anyone help me out with this??
    Any article that could justify how .net framework 3.5 enhances performance as compared to .net 2.0

Thank you.

Madhuri Iyer
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:35 AM

Answers

• You don't get to choose, it is whatever your customer has installed.  .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 all use the same CLR, version 2.0.50727.  There is no migration path either, you don't do anything to your project to make it run on 3.5.  The "Target Framework" setting in your project doesn't do anything but hide the assemblies that are only available in the later versions.

The CLR revision that came with 3.5 SP1 does have minor changes that speeds up warm start time.  It no longer verifies the strong name on full trust assemblies.  Your customer will only see that benefit if she installs that version.  You cannot force it.

This is going to change with the next version, 4.0.  This again will be a side-by-side version with a new version of the CLR.  Now you do get to choose.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, August 21, 2009 3:39 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:49 AM

All replies

• You don't get to choose, it is whatever your customer has installed.  .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 all use the same CLR, version 2.0.50727.  There is no migration path either, you don't do anything to your project to make it run on 3.5.  The "Target Framework" setting in your project doesn't do anything but hide the assemblies that are only available in the later versions.

The CLR revision that came with 3.5 SP1 does have minor changes that speeds up warm start time.  It no longer verifies the strong name on full trust assemblies.  Your customer will only see that benefit if she installs that version.  You cannot force it.

This is going to change with the next version, 4.0.  This again will be a side-by-side version with a new version of the CLR.  Now you do get to choose.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, August 21, 2009 3:39 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for your post.

If this is the case can you help me with how .net 3.5 or .net 2.0 increases performance as compared to .net 1.1 ?

Madhuri Iyer
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:00 PM
  • I have no idea.  Why on Earth would you contemplate moving to .NET 1.1?  It is obsolete.  You'll have to buy a license to VS2003 to try for yourself.  Avoid using its collection classes, they are slow.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Hi

I am not talking about migrating to .net 1.1 but migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 3.5 .

I want to know the performance benefits of the same.

Thanks
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:22 PM
  • I have my application developed in .net 2.0 
    Well, that was confusing me a bit.  I already gave you the answer, the support for generics makes .NET 2.0 collection classes a lot faster.  Vista and Windows 7 have the version 2 CLR pre-installed.  There is no conceivable reason that I can think of to stick with .NET 1.1.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:36 PM