VS 2008 extension from VS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I had to reinstall my computer from scratch.

I installed VS2010, but not VS2008 because I do not need it.

Unfortunately, our product is an extension for VS2005, VS2008 and VS2010. We have 3 DLLs depeinding on specific SDKs.

I'm unable to install VS2008 SDK because VS2008 is not installed!

I do not want to install all VS and all SDKs!

My questions are:

1. Is there any way to use VS2010 SDK to compile for VS2008 and VS2005 addins?

2. Is there any way to install SDKs without installing corresponding VS?

Thanks a lot.

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:07 PM

Answers

• I tried many things and I finally succeeded in installing VS2008 SDK without installing VS2008.

I will resume the steps here (omitting unnecessary steps I did...) for anybody who need to do the same:

1. Install MSDN minimal documentation from VS2008 install disk (you need DExplorer to be installed).
    2. Open the SDK file (VsSDK_sfx.exe) with 7z or any other zip file extractor.
    3. Extract everything to a temporary directory.
    4. Run extracted vssdk.msi. The SDK should be installed, but there is a problem to compile help as some files are not registered!
    5. Download and install Namespace# 2.0.
    6. Open it and check for a "resources" node under HX|Titles. You probably not have it: this is the problem.
    7. Right click Titles node, and choose 'Register Help File(s)...'
    8. Add following file: '%programfiles%\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 2.0 Compiler\Resources.HxS'.
    9. That's all. You can uninstall Namespace# 2.0 if you want.

Hope I didn't omit necessary steps I did among lots of unnecessary ones!

• Marked as answer by Ludovic Dubois Friday, November 19, 2010 1:43 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:43 PM

All replies

• You'll need to track down what those specific dependencies are. Generally speaking, most addins and packages should not have version specific dependencies on them if they target multiple versions of VS.

I'm also guessing this extension isn't an addin, as addins typically don't require the VS SDK. Are you talking about package? If so, packages can certainly be developed to target multiple instaces of VS. But without knowing what specifically your package is dependent on, it's pretty hard to say what the issue might be.

Recompiling with VS 2010 is in all liklihood not going to help. Regarding question #2, I do not believe so.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Monday, November 15, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Yes, it is a package: a language package (MPF) that I want to be included in VS2005, VS2008 and VS2010.

Before reinstalling my computer, I had VS2008 and VS2010 installed and just copied SDK for VS2005 to my computer, settings environment variable VSSDK80INSTALL to the right path and it was sufficient.

Now, I just want to install VS2010 only (because it can recompile my whole solution, as before).

I do the same steps for VS2005 SDK as before, and for VS2008 SDK also (environment variables are VSSDK90Install and VS90COMNTOOLS).

But now I'm facing a new problem: I can not recompile the solution because help file do not compile. I have to install 'MS Help 2 compiler' but I do not find it (except in the VS2008 SDK!)

I tried to track registry changes in my integration server (that has all VS installed)... but too much changes!

Thus, what can I do?

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:31 PM
  • If you want this specific package to target VS 2005, 2008, and 2010, you should continue to build and mantain the package with VS 2005. Packages built with later (more recent) versions of Visual Studio SDK , are not guaranteed to work with the earlier versions of the IDE.

Concerning the Help system. You may have noticed VS 2010 has a new help system, and no longer uses MS Help 2.0. You'll want to review "Getting Started with Help Content and Integration" to lean how to integrate your help content with the new help system.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:34 PM
  • In fact, I actually use VS2010 to compile among others three projects with the same source code (links), TSharpVS2005.dll, TSharpVS2008.dll and TSharpVS2010.dll for each VS version. And I install the right version depending on the presence of corresponding VS.

I know that for VS2010 help is different and everything is fine. But my problem is compiling VS2005 and VS2008 help files. I need Help 2 compiler that is provided in the SDK (2005 or 2008), but to install either I need corresponding VS to be installed. But I do not want to install VS has I don't need it: VS2010 is enough!

Thus, how can I install VS2008 SDK (or at least MS Help 2.0 compiler) so that my solution can still compile and my setup can still install help in VS2005 and VS2008.

It seems I cannot do that! :-(

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I tried many things and I finally succeeded in installing VS2008 SDK without installing VS2008.

I will resume the steps here (omitting unnecessary steps I did...) for anybody who need to do the same:

1. Install MSDN minimal documentation from VS2008 install disk (you need DExplorer to be installed).
    2. Open the SDK file (VsSDK_sfx.exe) with 7z or any other zip file extractor.
    3. Extract everything to a temporary directory.
    4. Run extracted vssdk.msi. The SDK should be installed, but there is a problem to compile help as some files are not registered!
    5. Download and install Namespace# 2.0.
    6. Open it and check for a "resources" node under HX|Titles. You probably not have it: this is the problem.
    7. Right click Titles node, and choose 'Register Help File(s)...'
    8. Add following file: '%programfiles%\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 2.0 Compiler\Resources.HxS'.
    9. That's all. You can uninstall Namespace# 2.0 if you want.

Hope I didn't omit necessary steps I did among lots of unnecessary ones!

• Marked as answer by Ludovic Dubois Friday, November 19, 2010 1:43 PM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:43 PM