Find Tested Application Crash after MSTest end RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all

I use VS2010 Premium and using Coded UI Test. I have apply SP1 and HF for this SP1

And I try to replay the recorded test script in MSTest.exe but I find the Application to be tested is crashed after the MStest finish the script execution and quit

I find the event log from my Windows just the same as the following error

App Crash when MSTest finish script execution

I using .Net 4.0 Framework for the Application and can I know is the error caused by .Net Framework issue? do we need to fix this by hotfix?

Where can I find the hotfix?

For you reference that the clr.dll version is as following

Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.0.30319.261, time stamp: 0x4ec9f6ff

Best Regards

• Edited by TungLee Friday, April 26, 2013 5:13 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 5:10 AM

Answers

• Dear Jack,

I find the reason already

1. the issue clr.dll issue is still there when we use .net framework 4.0, but it should be occured randomly (but my sympton is alway have issue at particular point.

2. as I start the application inside the Coded UI Test script so that the MSTest contain the testing application thread. And when at the end of MSTest, it clean up the child thread and close the application also. This's the reason why it only crash the application when MSTest process end.

To fix this, I start the application by shell script and setfocus to that process and continue the process. Since the thread is no more owned by MSTest, it would not be closed by MSTest...

Thx again Jack

• Marked as answer by TungLee Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi TungLee,

Glad to see you again.

Based on the link you provided, you would contact Microsoft Customer Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 26, 2013 10:46 AM
  • Dear Jack,

But do you know any HotFix that is already posted for this issue?

I find the resolution of the link and want to see whether it is a know bug that have no fix? have workaround? or have hotfix that is publish already?

Best Regards

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Hi TungLee,

I did some research about this issue, I found that this issue has been submitted to the connect report before:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/720374/faulting-module-name-clr-dll-error-message-when-you-run-a-microsoft-net-framework-4-based-application

It seems that it has been closed. My suggestion is that you could run it in VS2012, so we could make sure that whether this issue has been resolved in the latest version. If it has the same issue in VS2012, you could submit a connect report, you could share a simple sample in your connect report, it will be helpful for the VS product team experts to resolve this issue.

Since the connect report just supports the VS2012 now, if you don’t have the Environment, you could share me a simple sample, I will try to run it in my side. Or consider opening a support case with us.  Visit this link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Dear Jack,

I find the reason already

1. the issue clr.dll issue is still there when we use .net framework 4.0, but it should be occured randomly (but my sympton is alway have issue at particular point.

2. as I start the application inside the Coded UI Test script so that the MSTest contain the testing application thread. And when at the end of MSTest, it clean up the child thread and close the application also. This's the reason why it only crash the application when MSTest process end.

To fix this, I start the application by shell script and setfocus to that process and continue the process. Since the thread is no more owned by MSTest, it would not be closed by MSTest...

Thx again Jack

• Marked as answer by TungLee Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:11 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:11 AM