none
Long wait time to resolve UNC paths back to same machine RRS feed

• Question

• We are moving from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows Embedded 7 standard.  One of the applications we install upon start up makes a file system call to get the file attributes of a file using a UNC path back to a shared folder on the same system  \\(PC-NAME)\(Shared folder name)\file.  When starting the application the first time after a reboot, it can take an abnormally long time for the that file system call to resolve sometimes taking 4 to 6 minutes to return.  The weird thing is that if you use windows explorer before the application launches, the path resolves just fine.  Subsequent launches does not show the problem again until reboot.  We did side by side testing of windows 7 ultimate and windows 7 embedded joining both to the same domain and Ultimate does not display this issue ever.  The other weird thing is that windows explorer seems to be able to resolve the path just fine up until the application is launched.  During application launch opening windows explorer on the same machine and typing the UNC path the application is using results in the same slow browing behavior.  If you try the same UNC path from a different PC while the application startup is slow, it resolves the path extremely fast.  Any thoughts?

Please let me know, what KB I should update for my package windows install?

Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 12:47 AM