SQL 2012 RBS increase drive space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a case on RBS.  We have SAN drive 1.8 TB currently in PROD and we planning to increase space to 3.8 TB. But after 2GB we need to change partition to GPT from MBR and increase size. Same partition holds SQL DB and RBS also.

Our scenario is back up the data and increase the drive space and restore the data to the drive by using Symantec tools .

I need to know any one done this before and any potential issue if you can find here.

Environment: SharePoint 2013, SQL 2012 with RBS

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:26 AM

All replies

• Kamble,

Take database backup.

I had seen by diskpart command which mention following.

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/convert-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk.htm

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Monday, October 24, 2016 10:08 AM
  • Hi Laxmikant,

Could you please tell us which Symantec tools do you want to use? Some third-party tools will not support restore in GPT, you can refer to the corresponding software supporter.

In the common scenario, we can backup database from the SQL Server on the machine with MBR partition and restore database to GPT and will not meet issue, and SQL Server backup and recovery support backing up and restoring content stored in RBS.

Best Regards,
    Teige
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:20 AM

• Hello Teige,

Thanks for reply. We have Veritas NetBackup 7.7 for backup and restore.

If we use for backup and resotre SQL drive contains DB adn RBS, will there will be any issue

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:05 AM
  • Hi Laxmikant,

In normal circumstances, we will not meet error, GPT or MBR partition will only affect the performance of SQL Server instead of the data, we just need to pay attention to the backup and restore of database, I suggest you to monitor it because the database is a bit big. Wish you success.

Best Regards,
    Teige
    • Edited by Teige Gao Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:57 AM