tbs Design issues RRS feed

• Question

• Need help to start with the right table structure. I create tables to house information about student grade, and I want to be able to reproduce the grade in the form of a student transcript and Students semester grade.   I am not really sure how many tables I may end up needing.  Here is what I have. Please if you can touch on relationship on these tables it will be highly appreciated. I am doing this in access database

1 Studentstbl (Student information)

2 Gradetbl (All the needed grade Information)

(3) Classtbl or coursetble

Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:15 AM

Answers

• The key to successful modelling tables is using simple sentences in plain English, no special terms or abbreviations as long as not every one in your team and your users know them right off.

Thus collect these requirements/descriptions (use paper and pencil) first.

E.g.

Students attend classes.

Students earn grades in classes.

Students are Persons.

Now you should see the entities: Students, Classes, Persons.

And the relations: Attendance, Grades.

p.s. don't use type abbreviations as suffixes. This makes reading and working with those objects only harder.

• Marked as answer by alobi Friday, September 29, 2017 5:38 PM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:47 AM
  • I would suggest looking at the follow page, section 30 for students to get an idea what you need.

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/

Sample from one of the links above

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by alobi Friday, September 29, 2017 5:21 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:34 PM

All replies

• The key to successful modelling tables is using simple sentences in plain English, no special terms or abbreviations as long as not every one in your team and your users know them right off.

Thus collect these requirements/descriptions (use paper and pencil) first.

E.g.

Students attend classes.

Students earn grades in classes.

Students are Persons.

Now you should see the entities: Students, Classes, Persons.

And the relations: Attendance, Grades.

p.s. don't use type abbreviations as suffixes. This makes reading and working with those objects only harder.

• Marked as answer by alobi Friday, September 29, 2017 5:38 PM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 10:47 AM
  • I would suggest looking at the follow page, section 30 for students to get an idea what you need.

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/

Sample from one of the links above

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by alobi Friday, September 29, 2017 5:21 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Thanks I will do that. And get back to the forum if I have some more questions

AL

• Edited by alobi Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:51 PM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:50 PM
  • Tanks, but I am little confused as to what goes into Attendance. could you help me with more information and possible also with Persons
    Friday, September 29, 2017 5:58 PM