none
Saving a Custom UserForm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm very new to VBA (about 4 days) and I'm undertaking a rather ambitious project, I think. I'm in the process of creating a UserForm that will first prompt the user with a series of questions, and then build itself accordingly. Sample questions:

How many frames do you want?

What do you want to name frame 1?

What do you want to name frame 2?

How many checkboxes do you want in frame 1?

How many checkboxes do you want in frame 2?

etc.

I've made some decent progress, as the form will add frames as the user pleases. Checkboxes are still a bit finicky so I'm figuring that one out.

My real question is: Once I've created this form, is there a way of saving it elsewhere? I want to be able to make many forms with this, and I want them to save to different locations. I need to know if this is possible or if I'm wasting my time working on this form-creating form.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:54 PM

Answers

• The same thing applies to Excel it just has a .xlam extension.  I have also created several Excel addins so if you have a specific question ask it.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:31 PM

All replies

• Do you want to create a Word form?  You can create a Word addin (.dotm) that loads when you start Word or you open the addin.  The addin will create a menu item under Addins.  When you select the addin it will open up a form with the appropriate fields/questions.  It will create the form.  I have done this a lot to create documents automatically. I am not sure what you mean by frame but everything seams doable. 
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:04 PM
  • I'm creating an Excel UserForm. "Frame" is just one of the controls you can add, like a CommandButton or Checkbox. I probably just worded something poorly, sorry. Is there a similar "addin" method in Excel that you know of?
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:15 PM
  • The same thing applies to Excel it just has a .xlam extension.  I have also created several Excel addins so if you have a specific question ask it.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:31 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'll do some more research into this method.
    Friday, May 22, 2015 12:07 PM
  • I don't know what you plan but you may want to consider using a tab panel rather than frames.  Each tab can be named.  You can put a lot of checkboxes on a tab.  This way you are less likely to need to resize the frame.  I do this for one app I have.  I get a list of equipment from a database and place checkboxes for each piece.  The user selects the equipment he uses to perform a test.
    Friday, May 22, 2015 12:39 PM