storyboard animation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im making a mobile phone in blend just to get some knowledge of what can be possible. But im struggeling with the following. I want to make a text label that is visible at 5 seconds of the storyboard. So what I do is i create the text label and place it to were i want it to be. Then i open the storyboard and make a keyframe at 5 secs but now the text label is shown from 0 secs till the end of storyboard. So i have to make it transparant for those 5 seconds and then make it non transparant wich obviously isnt the best way to go.

There must be a better way for this because i have this problem with every object i create. Not only the transperancy is bothering me but also the path it creates when i move it around. Even if i have story board recording off.

Can any1 gimme some advice or show me tutorial.

Thanks in advance,
    RIck
    Friday, February 29, 2008 10:22 AM

Answers

• Rick,
    Let me see if I can help. First of all, you are handling this the right way with a few modifications. When making an item visible or not, set its visibility property as opposed to its opacity (which might be what you are doing). But by setting opacity to 0, the object still has to be rendered so you will get a performance hit. Having said that, lets tackle the next suggestion. By default, Blend will create SplineDoubleKeyFrames. If you change this to DiscreteDoubleKeyFrames, you will not get a linear or tweened transition from hidden to visible. A DiscreteDoubleKeyFrame effectively jumps from the beginning value to the ending value.

See if that gives you a different direction to look in,

Todd

MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:43 AM
  • Hi rick,

Just change de word SplineDoubleKeyFrame to DiscreteDoubleKeyFrames in the xaml,

like <SplineDoubleKeyFrame .../> to <DiscreteDoubleKeyFrames .../>

Friday, March 7, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

• Rick,
    Let me see if I can help. First of all, you are handling this the right way with a few modifications. When making an item visible or not, set its visibility property as opposed to its opacity (which might be what you are doing). But by setting opacity to 0, the object still has to be rendered so you will get a performance hit. Having said that, lets tackle the next suggestion. By default, Blend will create SplineDoubleKeyFrames. If you change this to DiscreteDoubleKeyFrames, you will not get a linear or tweened transition from hidden to visible. A DiscreteDoubleKeyFrame effectively jumps from the beginning value to the ending value.

See if that gives you a different direction to look in,

Todd

MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 6:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, when selecting a keyframe i can see the type(SplineDoubleKeyframe) but i cant see were to change that:P

Could you tell me were to change the type?

Monday, March 3, 2008 8:31 AM
  • Hi rick,

Just change de word SplineDoubleKeyFrame to DiscreteDoubleKeyFrames in the xaml,

like <SplineDoubleKeyFrame .../> to <DiscreteDoubleKeyFrames .../>

Friday, March 7, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Ah Didnt know i had to change the XAML, thought there was an option somewhere in Blend that i can choose.

Thanks for the help!
    Friday, March 7, 2008 8:32 AM