Is it possible to parallel development of the same "Analysis Services Project" BIDS project by multiple users in parallel ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am wondering that "Is it possible to parallel development of the same BIDS project by multiple users in parallel?”

I have a BIDS project as "Analysis Services Project" for development of say 'Test Cube' and all I want is that ,using a same BIDS project to build a cube by multiple user in parallel say UserA builds certain no of dimension and UserB develops certain no of dimension and other measures for same cube development using a same BIDS Project in parallel.

So, is this feasible or not and if it's feasible then how can we obtain the solution.

Also, i have found in some blog regarding the XMLA merge that means combining the different XMLA create by different user in other to build a same solution as 'Test cube' so that we can obtain the solution parallely .If this is feasible then how can we do it .?

If someone have any idea about this topic then please help me out or give some idea .

Thanks,

Anil Maharjan

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:20 PM

Answers

• The problem is that anytime you change a dimension, it also needs to check out the cube file for any cubes which use that dimension. So the cube file quickly becomes your bottleneck. So I wouldn't recommend you have multiple SSAS developers working in parallel. If you must, then make sure you train your SSAS developers to use source control and exclusively check out files so that nobody else can edit that file until they check it in. This requires short checkouts and lots of communication.

If you have two people working on the MDX Script at the same time, then merging those changes may be possible. But I would highly recommend a manual merge, not an automated XML merge. I would highly recommend you study the two changes using BIDS Helper Smart Diff to determine what changed, and then manually merge the changes.
    http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Smart%20Diff

http://artisconsulting.com/Blogs/GregGalloway
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Friday, March 4, 2011 1:43 AM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:13 AM