Where can I get a sideloading product activation key? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have developed my first WinRT application and need to side install it on a tablet (Surface) running WinRT 8. all documentation says I need  a sideloading product activation key, but I don't know how to get one. I checked out all the website that many urls refer to, but to no avail,

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/product-activation.aspx should have this information according to one post, but no luck.

I have an MSDN subscription and a store account.

Spent already 2 days trying to find out how to do the installation.
    Installation in the store is no option as this application was created for this one customer.

I came across some pages explaining how to do a test or remote debug installation. this is not what I need.

I already went through all the (rather painful) phases of creating a package, signing the assembly, creating and installing the certificate and running the powershell command lines.

Thanks in advance, Jan

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:49 PM

All replies

• I use side loading for beta testing and offer it to everyone. This is what I do to allow people to sideload my app:

1) Store -> Create App Package

(app package is created in your AppPackages\appname directory)

2) Locate the correct folder of the package you just created. (might look like "myapp_1.0.0.5_ARM_Test", NOT the .appxupload file)

3) Copy that folder alone to the test machine you want to sideload it on.

4) On the test machine, open folder and right click the "Add-AppDevPackage.ps1" file, then select Run With Powershell.

5) Answer yes/ok/run, etc. to the prompts. You might be asked to get a developer license, which it will do for you right there.

6) Once it's done the app will appear on your start screen and you can run it.

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:23 AM