Error: Web deployment task failed ... could not authorize RRS feed

• Question

• Using VS2012-Lightswitch with a 90 day trial subscription I set up for a potential client to evaluate an application to be hosted on Azuare, I set up an Azure web site. The only location option allowed was West US. I deployed the application to this location which accessed a database previously configured in East US. I tested it and all was good.

The next day I deleted the database in East US and re-staged it in West US. I then attempted changed the settings to point to the new West US database and attempted to redeploy to the Azure web site. I would get the following error:

Error 9 Web deployment task failed. (Connected to the remote computer ("waws-prod-bay-001.publish.azurewebsites.windows.net") using the Web Management Service, but could not authorize. Make sure that you are using the correct user name and password, that the site you are connecting to exists, and that the credentials represent a user who has permissions to access the site.  Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_USER_UNAUTHORIZED.) C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\Web\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.targets ...

I tried numerous things including deleting and recreating the West US web site and database - no go. The only way I was able to get it deployed was to create a new web site having a different name than the original.

There seems to be a bug somewhere in the Azure/VS2012/Lightswitch.

Bruce

• Moved by Jiang Yun Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:46 AM (From:Windows Azure Troubleshooting, Diagnostics & Logging)
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:09 PM

Answers

• As indicated in the orignal post, to get around the problem, I had previously create a second site to deploy the updated application. Yesterday, when I attempted to publish to this second site, the error happened again. However, I was able to successfully publish to the first site; the one that instigated this thread.

It seems that there is a bug somewhere, either Azure, Visual Studio 2012 or Lightswitch that causes this error to occur when publishing over an existing site. Deleting and immediately receating the site does not resolve the problem. However, it looks like if you wait a period of time, you can publish.

Bruce

• Marked as answer by bruce demoose Friday, October 19, 2012 6:45 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:20 AM
  • I think I finally figured this out. There appears to be a bug in Web Deploy. I stumbled accross the following thread: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11796838/web-deployment-task-failed-could-not-connect-server-did-not-respond

After uninstall all Web Deploy versions and installing the latest Web Deploy from http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-deploy the problem stopped happening. Hopefully this fix is permanent.

Bruce

Bruce

• Marked as answer by bruce demoose Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:49 PM
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Bruce,

it seems like it did not like the authentication credentials. Do you still have the site in broken state?

Thanks

AJ

Apurva Joshi, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Yes, I retained the site in case someone from Microsoft wants to troubleshoot. Don't want to supply the URL in a public forum. How can I get this to ya'll or is there something you want me to provide you?

Bruce

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Can you please provide the site name and site deployment credentials (if possible and after changing it:), and deployment method (repro steps) AT japurva at Hotmail dot com

thanks

AJ

Apurva Joshi, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:07 PM
  • As indicated in the orignal post, to get around the problem, I had previously create a second site to deploy the updated application. Yesterday, when I attempted to publish to this second site, the error happened again. However, I was able to successfully publish to the first site; the one that instigated this thread.

It seems that there is a bug somewhere, either Azure, Visual Studio 2012 or Lightswitch that causes this error to occur when publishing over an existing site. Deleting and immediately receating the site does not resolve the problem. However, it looks like if you wait a period of time, you can publish.

Bruce

• Marked as answer by bruce demoose Friday, October 19, 2012 6:45 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:20 AM
  • I solved the issue by restarting vs.net 2012.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Have you tried to reset the deployment credentials? There you can create a new user and password for access diagnostic files.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:24 PM
  • I think I finally figured this out. There appears to be a bug in Web Deploy. I stumbled accross the following thread: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11796838/web-deployment-task-failed-could-not-connect-server-did-not-respond

After uninstall all Web Deploy versions and installing the latest Web Deploy from http://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/web-deploy the problem stopped happening. Hopefully this fix is permanent.

Bruce

Bruce

• Marked as answer by bruce demoose Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:49 PM
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:49 PM