Error when degugging blank store app - Visual Studio 2013

Question

• Hi, 

I am having trouble with Store apps in Visual Studio 2013

Here's my problem:

I can make any type of application (WPF, Winforms, Console, etc) but as soon as I try to make any type of "store" app things start to go wrong. When I try to deploy the app I get an error message:

Error: DEP0700: Registration of the app failed. error 0x80070003: AppX deployment operation failed. The specific error text for this failure if: RDSAppXNotifyRecoveryTrigger (0x80073cf9)

Please note that this is a blank store app with no modifications, i literally deployed it after it created.

What I have tried so far: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20287871/rdsappxnotifyrecoverytrigger-on-app-deploy

I haven't really used store apps before so I pretty much don't know what I'm doing

Also, when trying to open up the designer for an unmodified MainPage.xaml, the designer failed to load and gave this error:

System.Exception
    Install failed. Please contact your software vendor. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF9)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedObjectFactory.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateObjectFactory(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IObjectCatalog catalog)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

What should I do to fix this???

Thanks for any help in advance

From,

Nathaniel

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Friday, August 29, 2014 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hmm... how about a repair of the OS?  I'm kind of out of ideas for this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, September 05, 2014 2:32 PM

All replies

• Have you seen this?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nathalievangelist/archive/2013/09/18/windows-store-error-0x80073cf9.aspx

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, August 29, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Nope, Doesn't work

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Saturday, August 30, 2014 2:10 AM
  • How about a repair on your installation of Visual Studio?

Thursday, September 04, 2014 5:16 PM
  • I have tried that multiple times and nothing has changed

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Friday, September 05, 2014 5:12 AM
  • Hmm... how about a repair of the OS?  I'm kind of out of ideas for this.

Friday, September 05, 2014 2:32 PM
  • it's windows 8.1 so all the installed software gets deleted (Program Files goes to default)

That's not really feasible at the moment

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Friday, September 05, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Hi Nathaniel,
         If you're still experiencing this problem, please follow these steps:

1) Install WPT toolkit: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4847.install-the-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt.aspx

2) In notepad paste the following code and save it as "Capture.cmd"

@if  %_echo%!==! echo off
    time /t

set options=-BufferSize 1024 -MinBuffers 128 -MaxBuffers 128

xperf -start appx_user -on "Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment::5"+"Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment-Server"+"Microsoft-Windows-ApplicabilityEngine"+"Microsoft-Windows-Application Server-Applications"+"Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience"+"Microsoft-Windows-AppxPackagingOM"+"Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-StoreMgr"+"Microsoft-Windows-Security-IdentityStore"+"Microsoft-Windows-Store-Client-UI"+"Microsoft-Windows-System-Restore"+"Microsoft-Windows-SettingSync" -f appx_user.etl %options%
    xperf -start appx_perftrack -on perftrack -f appx_perftrack.etl %options%
    ::xperf -on base+cswitch+registry+latency+fileio %options%
    xperf -on base+cswitch+registry+latency+fileio+dispatcher -stackwalk CSWITCH+DiskReadInit+DiskWriteInit+FileRead+FileWrite+ImageLoad+Profile+ThreadCreate+ReadyThread -f appx_kernel.etl %options%

xperf -m BeginTrace
    echo Event listeners started, run desired scenario then press any key
    pause
    xperf -m EndTrace

echo stopping all sessions...
    xperf -stop
    xperf -stop appx_perftrack
    xperf -stop appx_user

echo merging to appx_merged.etl...
    xperf -merge appx_user.etl appx_kernel.etl appx_perftrack.etl appx_merged.etl
    time /t

3) Run Capture.cmd from an admin command prompt

4) Create and deploy a blank app

5) Hit "Enter" in the command prompt running the Capture.cmd file

6) Post appx_merged.etl to OneDrive and share a link to it here.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 1:09 PM
  • thanks for the help

I will try to upload appx_merged.etl to onedrive as soon as possible

it may take a while though as the file is about 1GB and my upload speed is steady at 100 kilobytes per second

I will reply with a link once I have uploaded it.

Thanks,

Nathaniel

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Saturday, September 27, 2014 11:19 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I have uploaded the file to OneDrive and here is a link to access it:

http://1drv.ms/1sEB5De

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Sunday, September 28, 2014 3:36 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I just returned to my start screen (for the first time in a while) and all the metro apps have a cross in the bottom right corner of the tile and they won't open. I uninstalled them all also and they wont reinstall.

If I try to install a new metro app (I tried Facebook) i get an error that the app could not be installed (Error code; 0x80073cf9)

I think it might be related to my problem

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Hi Nathaniel,

I've got my PG looking at this issue.  I'm going to download your files and pass them on. I'll update as soon as I can.

Thursday, October 02, 2014 3:07 PM
  • Thanks matt, looking forward to hearing from you

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Thursday, October 02, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Hi matt,

I know that this is an old issue but I thought I'd let you know that i resolved the issue by performing an "in-place upgrade" of windows 8.1 Pro as per these instructions.

thanks for all your help and I have marked your post as answer

From, Nathaniel Peiffer

Friday, October 10, 2014 11:12 AM