none
Load Excel into ADLS

Question

• Is there an easy or straightforward way to load .xlsx files into the data lake?  I have loaded a file as is and when I view the file it appears that is is encrypted.  The data didn't load as I would have expected it to like when I load a text file.

Any help is appreciated.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:12 PM

All replies

• I'd be happy to help.

Can you please tell me a little more about what you're trying to do after you have an Excel in Azure Data Lake?

Guy

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:31 PM
  • I will be using U SQL against it and then either loading the file into Analysis Services or Power BI.
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:30 PM
  • Great. 

Are you looking to preview the contents of the file in our tooling, or run a U-SQL job against it?  Our tooling today doesn't yet support .xls files and only supports text files (.csv) for preview.

You could save it as a CSV file.  There is also a community provided custom .xls extractor.

Guy

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Interesting point, there is no native method available to query or read an .xls formatted file. 

I'm wondering if Logic Apps could be leveraged here?

Guy, can you point us to the community-provided custom .xls extractor for U-SQL?   I'm interested in taking a look at that - thanks.

Bill Blakey

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:46 PM
  • An Excel extractor is here.

https://github.com/Azure/AzureDataLake/tree/573b7c90962cf7b0bad514bcb55b2c6bc78dfeb9/Samples/ExcelExtractor/USQLExcelExtractor

cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Sears

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:20 AM
  • how do you register the excel extractor assembly, it seems the required files in github are missing....
    Monday, July 16, 2018 8:59 AM