Hybrid Connections: Idle connection timeout? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're using Hybrid Connections with an Azure Web App to provide connectivity between our ASP.NET website, and an on-premises SQL Server.

The issue is that connections to the SQL Server are being left open and orphaned, as the Web App is restarted, stopped or otherwise killed.  Using sp_who2 on the server, we can see connections being left behind from previous instances of the Web App, with last batch times dating back several days.

I suspect that the Hybrid Connection Manager is responding to the TCP keepalives which normally result in cleanup of dead connections, even though the consumer application which requested the connection (Azure Web App).

Is there a method of setting an idle connection timeout with Hybrid Connections?

Thanks,

Gerard

Note: I'm cross-posting this from the BizTalk Services forum in case this forum is where this thread belongs.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 2:54 PM

Answers

• The connections would be from the hybrid connection manager to the db.  There does not appear to be a current capability to set an idle connection timeout but we are doing work on Hybrid Connections including the HCM and I will add this to the requirements set. 

It doesn't help you now but will eventually.  Sorry I don't have something better to offer.

Chris

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hello Gerard Escalante,

I am currently finding options to check if we can set idle timeout for the hybrid connections or different ways to close the dead connections when the website is stopped or deleted. I will get back to you shortly regarding this.

Thanks,
    Syed Irfan Hussain

Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update or progress on this topic?  

We are hoping to deploy a solution which utilizes Hybrid Connections soon, but need resolution on this before we can proceed further.

Thanks,

Gerard

Thursday, October 29, 2015 6:59 PM
  • The connections would be from the hybrid connection manager to the db.  There does not appear to be a current capability to set an idle connection timeout but we are doing work on Hybrid Connections including the HCM and I will add this to the requirements set. 

It doesn't help you now but will eventually.  Sorry I don't have something better to offer.

Chris

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  It's disappointing, but I'm glad to hear that it'll be addressed at some point.

Gerard

Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:19 PM