Website won't come up RRS feed

• Question

• User1510859543 posted

I have been working on and testing an asp.net website on our local IIS server (Windows Server 2016).  Today when I enter the URL in my browser nothing happens.  It just spins a wheel on the browser tab but the site does not display.  I looked at the Windows Application log on the server and it shows nothing.  How can I figure out and correct the reason for the website to "hang"?

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:50 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

I have been working on and testing an asp.net website on our local IIS server (Windows Server 2016).  Today when I enter the URL in my browser nothing happens.  It just spins a wheel on the browser tab but the site does not display.  I looked at the Windows Application log on the server and it shows nothing.  How can I figure out and correct the reason for the website to "hang"?

Start troubleshooting...  Stop and start the application pool.  Verify DB connection.  Login to the server and check resources using task manager.  Restart the server. Try running the code from localhost.  Revert to a code base you know works.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:13 PM
  • User1510859543 posted

Restarted app pool, there is no db connection, don't know what to look for in task manager, restarted the server, tried form localhost (failed on server but worked on local pc), reverted back to old code and all failed the same.  There are dozens of other sites on this server that are working perfectly.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:00 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi dlchase,

According to your description, I suggest you could try to enable the Failed Request Tracing to capture the hanging requests. You could use it to set rules that capture traces when requests to specific URLs exceed a time limit, or fail with specific errors, etc.

To enable FRT rules, run:

This will tracing the request exceed the 30 seconds and generate the FRT XML. Then you could analysis the xml and find out the reason.

%windir%system32inetsrvappcmd configure trace "Default Web Site" /enable /path:test.aspx /timeTaken:00:00:30

Best Regards,

Brando

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:20 AM
  • User1510859543 posted

Are you sure your command is correct?  Are there missing slashes?  Also, what should /path: contain?  Is this the path under Default site for the web page to trace?

Thursday, July 25, 2019 9:06 PM
  • User283571144 posted

Hi dlchase,

Are you sure your command is correct?  Are there missing slashes?  Also, what should /path: contain?  Is this the path under Default site for the web page to trace?

If you couldn't modify the command line to match your requirement, I suggest you try to use management UI console.

More details, you could refer to below steps:

1.Open IIS management console and select fail request tracing.

2.Type in which aspx page you want to tracing or select all apsx page.

3.Set the time taken 30 seconds.

4.Click finish.

Best Regards,

Brando

Friday, July 26, 2019 2:07 AM