Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. RRS feed

• Question

• User-696158525 posted

Hello,

I have build a web application and in one of its pages I perform a Pdf Indexing. The Pdf files are stored in a different server from the one which the application is hosted. When I was developing the application in my computer (localy) the indexing of the pdf in the other server was OK. I was able to copy and past the pdf files inside a folder in my application.

Once I published the application in IIS in server it generates me the error as follows : Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password when I try to index the pdf.

I actually copy the pdf from the server and paste them inside the application.
    In the server where the application is in the IIS I created a map drive to the server where are stored pdf files, so I can access them from the server where the application is, but cannot access them from my application when I run it from a link.

Any Idea on ho to solve it ??? If you need more explainings please ask,

Thankyou!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:13 AM

All replies

• User-126244515 posted

The user account running ASP.NET must have read and write access to the folder location. Check out the credentials used for the Application Pool in IIS to see which account is currently being used.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:21 AM
  • User-696158525 posted

Can you explain in details what should I do please ?

I am using different accounts to access the server where the pdf files are stored and a different account to access the server where the application is in IIS. What account should I put in Application Pool in IIS ?

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:36 AM
  • User-126244515 posted

I assume the two servers in question are members on the same domain, or that they are members of domains that trust each other, right? If so, then you need to use an account for the IIS application pool that has read and write access to the folder where you perform the PDF indexing. You mention that when you run it locally on your dev box, it works fine. I suggest you test it with that account, which I assume is your personal user account. If that solves it, you should find an account that can be used specifically for this purpose, and I believe that the NETWORK SERVICE account, which you might already be using for the Application Pool, can be used for this. You do need to grant access to the PDF folder for this account though. Does this make sense?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:55 AM
  • User-696158525 posted

I found the problem, the user in the application pool of IIS might have grant permissions in the server/folder where I want to copy the files. But I think it is not good or secure to grant persmission to application pool account. I am trying to solve it with a WCF Service. Thankyou for your replies, have a nice day.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:07 AM