none
Unable to install software made from visaul basic studio 2012 express for desktop on client pc, says download dot.net 4.5 or 4

Question

• Hello, I'm new in visual basic studio programming.

I made a software using Visual basic studio 2012 express for desktop. When I want to install that software on another PC, it says install dot.net 4.5 or 4. I select perquisite dot.net 4.5 and also windows installer.

I'm confused about it. In my pc, software works fine. But my client pcs and other computers have the problem. Always it says install dot.net 4.5 or 4 or 3.5. And after installing dot.net 3.5 - 4 offline installer to client pcs, it works fine. But I want to build a software which don't need to install any other software.

or How can I run dot.net 4.5 offline installer to client pcs at the time of installing my software.

I hope someone help me to solve this problem. I thanks to MSDN and visual basic team for helping me my previous query. I hope now they can help me.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:36 PM

Answers

I made a software using Visual basic studio 2012 express for desktop. When I want to install that software on another PC, it says install dot.net 4.5 or 4. I select perquisite dot.net 4.5 and also windows installer.

I'm confused about it. In my pc, software works fine. But my client pcs and other computers have the problem. Always it says install dot.net 4.5 or 4 or 3.5. And after installing dot.net 3.5 - 4 offline installer to client pcs, it works fine. But I want to build a software which don't need to install any other software.

or How can I run dot.net 4.5 offline installer to client pcs at the time of installing my software.

I hope someone help me to solve this problem. I thanks to MSDN and visual basic team for helping me my previous query. I hope now they can help me.

Well if the client PC's are Windows 7 or above then they all should already have appropriate .Net Framework installed or for Windows 7 if they are kept up to date regarding updates. As Windows 7 was updated to full .Net Frameworks at some point in the past even though it may still have client .Net Frameworks on it if client .Net Framework is supported in multi-targeting packs of .Net Framework.

If the client PC's are earlier OS than Windows 7 then for example XP it is possible they only have client framework installed and if your app is compiled to full .Net Framework and not a client .Net Framework then the PC will require a full .Net Framework installed. It is possible your app uses abilities not available in a client .Net Framework also so it may not be able to be compiled to a client .Net Framework and actually work.

You make no mention of what PC's your clients have with regard to the OS they have installed on them and any service packs installed on them for the OS in question. And whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit and so on.

You have to upgrade PC OS if possible to support software as compiled to run on the PC if necessary. And it is best not to compile to a client profile .Net Framework if you could for your app since if you decide to update your app it may require your app to then be compiled under a full .Net Framework and then you would have issue with update not running on PC's until PC's updated to full .Net Framework required for your app to run.

The issue is not what you want, the issue is knowing why things have to be done or not which is a systems knowledge issue really.

When you create a project in Visual Studio there is a default .Net Framework set typically. You can check your applications properties, last line after selecting the project tab with the project open, and see what .Net Framework your app is compiled to. You can even alter that. However it is not wise to alter it less as less levels of .Net Framework may not support code abilities or even controls that your app may be using for the level of .Net Framework it is compiled to. Which I suppose could possibly destroy the app. So always copy a project to some other location before doing things which may corrupt it so a backup is available.

La vida loca

Friday, February 17, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Thank you both for reply me. My client installed windows 7 32 bit on his computer. My software can run in both 32 or 64 bit. I make it by selecting debug option to any CPU.

It is not possible to update my client's PC. Rather than I can solve this problem by doing one thing that is Silent install of dot.net framework which version is needed to my Client's PC attached with my software.

How can I do that? I can do it by using inno setup compiler. But I want to build it using Visual Basic studio 2012 express for desktop. Please help me.

That would not really be a VB.Net question. Probably you should ask in a Forum for Visual Studio and possibly Visual Studio General Questions and maybe even there you would be directed to an other appropriate Forum.

You need to mention which Visual Studio you have which seems to be Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop. I don't believe it is called Visual Basic Studio 2012 Express for Desktop as express versions of Visual Studio do not come language specific to my knowledge.

And you should mention that you want to create an installer for your app which checks for version of Visual Studio on system your app is to be installed on and if not there your installer install version from ISO.

Your issue is really using an installer creator to create an installer which will check prerequisites for a system your app is to be installed on. I suppose the only prerequisite to be if a version of .Net Framework is already installed on the system prior to your installer installing your app. And if the version is not on the system then your installer install the version of .Net Framework you want to install.

That would also require that you have the ISO for the .Net Framework you want to install such that your installer could then install that version of .Net Framework prior to installing your app on the system in question.

You will also need to download the ISO for the .Net Framework you want to install. And you will need to verify it works on a system that you will want to use it with, as well after installing it that your app works also, prior to assuming it will work for all your installs.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)

Update: As well older OS's may require service packs installed to support .Net Framework 4 and if they do not have those service packs installed already then those need to be installed prior to attempting to install .Net Framework 4. XP being one of those OS's. I do not know which service packs XP has to have installed prior to attempting to install .Net Framework 4. Also as previously mentioned Windows 7, if kept up to date, to my knowledge updates to have full .Net Framework 4 by either having a service pack installed or something else performed by updates which are automatic if enabled and the PC has internet access but I suppose I could be wrong about that as I am not IT knowledgable about all that. And I do not know for Windows 7 what all may need to be installed prior to attempting to install .Net Framework 4.0.

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Friday, February 17, 2017 10:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rationalistp Monday, February 20, 2017 5:40 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 6:38 PM

All replies

• If you are using Dot.Net software all client PCs will have to have the dot.net dll's to the level you aim your app for.  

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:17 PM

Well if the client PC's are Windows 7 or above then they all should already have appropriate .Net Framework installed or for Windows 7 if they are kept up to date regarding updates. As Windows 7 was updated to full .Net Frameworks at some point in the past even though it may still have client .Net Frameworks on it if client .Net Framework is supported in multi-targeting packs of .Net Framework.

If the client PC's are earlier OS than Windows 7 then for example XP it is possible they only have client framework installed and if your app is compiled to full .Net Framework and not a client .Net Framework then the PC will require a full .Net Framework installed. It is possible your app uses abilities not available in a client .Net Framework also so it may not be able to be compiled to a client .Net Framework and actually work.

You make no mention of what PC's your clients have with regard to the OS they have installed on them and any service packs installed on them for the OS in question. And whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit and so on.

You have to upgrade PC OS if possible to support software as compiled to run on the PC if necessary. And it is best not to compile to a client profile .Net Framework if you could for your app since if you decide to update your app it may require your app to then be compiled under a full .Net Framework and then you would have issue with update not running on PC's until PC's updated to full .Net Framework required for your app to run.

The issue is not what you want, the issue is knowing why things have to be done or not which is a systems knowledge issue really.

When you create a project in Visual Studio there is a default .Net Framework set typically. You can check your applications properties, last line after selecting the project tab with the project open, and see what .Net Framework your app is compiled to. You can even alter that. However it is not wise to alter it less as less levels of .Net Framework may not support code abilities or even controls that your app may be using for the level of .Net Framework it is compiled to. Which I suppose could possibly destroy the app. So always copy a project to some other location before doing things which may corrupt it so a backup is available.

La vida loca

Friday, February 17, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Thank you both for reply me. My client installed windows 7 32 bit on his computer. My software can run in both 32 or 64 bit. I make it by selecting debug option to any CPU.

It is not possible to update my client's PC. Rather than I can solve this problem by doing one thing that is Silent install of dot.net framework which version is needed to my Client's PC attached with my software.

How can I do that? I can do it by using inno setup compiler. But I want to build it using Visual Basic studio 2012 express for desktop. Please help me.

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:08 PM

That would not really be a VB.Net question. Probably you should ask in a Forum for Visual Studio and possibly Visual Studio General Questions and maybe even there you would be directed to an other appropriate Forum.

You need to mention which Visual Studio you have which seems to be Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop. I don't believe it is called Visual Basic Studio 2012 Express for Desktop as express versions of Visual Studio do not come language specific to my knowledge.

And you should mention that you want to create an installer for your app which checks for version of Visual Studio on system your app is to be installed on and if not there your installer install version from ISO.

Your issue is really using an installer creator to create an installer which will check prerequisites for a system your app is to be installed on. I suppose the only prerequisite to be if a version of .Net Framework is already installed on the system prior to your installer installing your app. And if the version is not on the system then your installer install the version of .Net Framework you want to install.

That would also require that you have the ISO for the .Net Framework you want to install such that your installer could then install that version of .Net Framework prior to installing your app on the system in question.

You will also need to download the ISO for the .Net Framework you want to install. And you will need to verify it works on a system that you will want to use it with, as well after installing it that your app works also, prior to assuming it will work for all your installs.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)

Update: As well older OS's may require service packs installed to support .Net Framework 4 and if they do not have those service packs installed already then those need to be installed prior to attempting to install .Net Framework 4. XP being one of those OS's. I do not know which service packs XP has to have installed prior to attempting to install .Net Framework 4. Also as previously mentioned Windows 7, if kept up to date, to my knowledge updates to have full .Net Framework 4 by either having a service pack installed or something else performed by updates which are automatic if enabled and the PC has internet access but I suppose I could be wrong about that as I am not IT knowledgable about all that. And I do not know for Windows 7 what all may need to be installed prior to attempting to install .Net Framework 4.0.

La vida loca

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Friday, February 17, 2017 10:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rationalistp Monday, February 20, 2017 5:40 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 6:38 PM