Change attached disk size RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've created a virtual machine (win2012). It had one disk. Then I've created a new empty disk (2GB) and attached to the virtual machine. I can see it and it works fine.

Now, I need to extend the size of the disk. Is there an easy way to increase the size of the disk? And I'd like to do that without stopping the vm. 

Fabrizio

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Fabrizio,

Check out Drew's reply here. It isn't possible to extend it in Disk Management from within the guest, but with some extra steps you can accomplish that by downloading the VHD into a larger disk attached to a different VM, mount it and extend it, then put it back where it was and attach it again to the original VM.

Although since you control the data disk size when you create new, depending on the scenario it may be simpler to create a new, larger disk, attach it, and copy over the data from the smaller disk.

For OS disks you only have control of the size when you upload your own image, but uploading 30+ GB VHDs can be cumbersome depending on your connection. Drew's method would apply for OS disks too, allowing you to change the OS disk size without pulling down the VHD on-premise to do so.

Thanks,
    Craig

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Fabrizio,

Check out Drew's reply here. It isn't possible to extend it in Disk Management from within the guest, but with some extra steps you can accomplish that by downloading the VHD into a larger disk attached to a different VM, mount it and extend it, then put it back where it was and attach it again to the original VM.

Although since you control the data disk size when you create new, depending on the scenario it may be simpler to create a new, larger disk, attach it, and copy over the data from the smaller disk.

For OS disks you only have control of the size when you upload your own image, but uploading 30+ GB VHDs can be cumbersome depending on your connection. Drew's method would apply for OS disks too, allowing you to change the OS disk size without pulling down the VHD on-premise to do so.

Thanks,
    Craig

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Craig, 

IMHO your solution is too tricky. And cannot be applied to a live system.   :(

Today I can create an empty disk and add it to my vmachine without disruption. Great. But I cannot modify its size. :(

Suggestion: in a future realese consider to add a way/tool/feature to increase VHD without disruption of the vmachine. In my esperience it's normal (although not so often) to increase the disk size when needed.

fabrizio

Friday, June 15, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hey fhtino,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think you are correct that we should consider creating a tool that makes this much easier to do. We will look at this for a possible future improvement.

Corey

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:03 PM
  • I agree this would extreamly needed to be able to expand the os disk with a few clicks.
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Yes. It is most needed to be able to hot expand disks in both Azure and in Hyper-V on-prem.

/Henrik

Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:42 PM
  • CloudXplorer 2.18 added the ability to Expand Virtual Disk.

http://clumsyleaf.com/products/cloudxplorer/history

This allows you to increase the VHD size in-place in Azure. But you must first remove the VM and the disks, choosing the option to Retain the associated VHD. That is under Virtual Machines, under the Disks section at the top. Then go into CloudXplorer and right-click the VHD and select Expand Virtual Disk.

For a data disk, you wouldn't have to remove the VM, you can just detach the data disk, remove the disk (specifying Retain the associated VHD), expand it with CloudXplorer, then add it back as a disk, then add it as a data disk to the VM again.

Thanks,
    Craig

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Craig,

thank you for the link but as I wrote and other wrote, we need a way to resize (=increase) disk size "live". I can do that on vmware on premise (don't know if it was possible on hyperV). Please, consider to add the feature also on Azure.

fabrizio

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:27 AM