none
Custom Event Log RRS feed

• Question

• I have written a Windows Service which writes to a custom event log.  When I install the service for some reason it automatically adds my app as a source to the "Application" event log in the registry.  When I start my app I  immediately delete the source and re-create it under my custom log.  Unfortunately I have to reboot the computer for the change of source to take effect. 

My question is, why does the installation of a service automatically add the source to the application Event log? Is there a way to suppress this step?  Is there a way to instruct the setup package to register the source to the correct log?

If only the setup process would not add the source to the application log, then I would not have to worry about running my app once and then rebooting the machine.

Thank You,

Don

Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:16 PM

All replies

• I would also like to know the solution to this as I am having the same problem.
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:23 AM
  • ServiceBase (which your service derives from) provides a property called EventLog. The easiest way for you do what you want to do is to set up that EventLog property appropriately and write to that.

e.g.

public partial class MyService: ServiceBase
    {

public MyService()
    {
              EventLog.Source = "MySource";
              EventLog.Log =
    "MyCustomLog"; //Default is Application
    }

}

Friday, October 20, 2006 1:18 AM