How to do 2 things re drill-down pp/tabular model excel chart formatting? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm working on an excel front end for my tabular model. I have a chart displaying a user-selected statistic over time. The user can "drill" into the time (x axis), and the chart updates nicely. However:

1) the labels get all messed up with each drill level, as they stack upon one another. how to prevent/fix this?

2) When the user drills into, say, a particular year, showing the data for the months, I would like a shading on the chart to indicate the section that the drill is operating on - so there's no confusion about the different time scales involved.

Anybody know how to deal with either of these two issues?

Screen shots attached depicting the situation in both questions.

Thanks much,

SFF

Monday, October 3, 2016 10:23 PM

Answers

• thanks Angelia.

I resolved the mushed-together labels just by making them fewer chars. And yah I've concluded the drill-shading thing can't easily be done as I want it in excel.

thanks again,

sff

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:10 PM

All replies

• Hi sherifffruitfly2,

>>1) the labels get all messed up with each drill level, as they stack upon one another. how to prevent/fix this?

I trying to reproduce the scenario, and it works fine in Excel 2016 and 2013. And I got similar issue in Excel 2010. You can upgrade to Excel 2013/2016. Or you may post your question on Excel forum for getting professional support.

>>I would like a shading on the chart to indicate the section that the drill is operating on - so there's no confusion about the different time scales involved.

Unfortunately, it may be impossible to highlight bar/column in the chart, when you select an item in slicer, it will filter the data and only keep bar/column related to your selection. For your requirement, you may try other rendering tool like PowerBI.

If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

Monday, October 10, 2016 1:47 PM
  • thanks Angelia.

I resolved the mushed-together labels just by making them fewer chars. And yah I've concluded the drill-shading thing can't easily be done as I want it in excel.

thanks again,

sff

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi sherifffruitfly2,

Thank for your response, I am very happy you have resolved your problem.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:54 AM