Using AssemblyBinding in app.config for dlls not in GAC RRS feed

• Question

• I am referencing dlls from the GAC in my projects however when I want to publish them I do not want to install those references to client's GAC instead want to refer them locally. In order to do that I added the referenced files as content and include them in ClickOnce application files. I am clear that VS publishes those references to the server. However when I try to install the application, I get the "System Update Required" dialog message saying "Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly X be installed in Global Assembly Cache(GAC) first ...".

How I can make sure that ClickOnce downloads all the files and uses .exe.config file to populate the assembly bindings? I already signed the manifest with a valid digital cert and required full trust.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Murat

Friday, December 16, 2005 8:38 PM

Answers

• Murat,

Visual Studio will parse your reference and choose default settings for included files and references.  For the case of references assemblies in the GAC, the default is to mark the assembly as a prerequisite when published.  The result of this default is why you are seeing the “System Update” message.

To override how a files is published, open the Application Files Dialog.  (The Appilcation Files Dialog is opened by clicking the ‘Application Files…’ button on the Publish Property Page.)   Changing the publish status of the GAC’ed assemblies from ‘Prerequisite’ to ‘Excluded’ will stop the “System Update” message from showing up.

More information about the Application Files Dialog may be found at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xtkkwf3d.aspx.

Best Regards,

Elizabeth Maher

VB Team

Friday, December 16, 2005 10:38 PM