Wrapper method for the original method in the profiling API. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have tried successfully to instrument methods of my interest where I put custom code in the beginning and end of a function using the Profiling API.

But there are cases where I am not able to instrument end of a function because a function can be ended in many ways (several returns, exceptions). (tried but failed)

I was thinking if I can create a new wrapper method for the original method and add the start and end custom method along with exceptions so that I need not worry about end function scenarios. 

Is the wrapper method approach a good one...? If so please point me to what callback functions to be used and where to use it. 

Any examples or articles to look into would be great. 

-Jasper

..JPJ..

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:38 AM

Answers

• What I would try is

1) when your module is loaded (ModuleLoadFinished) modify your target class with a new method that matches the signature of your target method

2) when your target method is loaded (JITCompilationStarted) rewrite it to call your new injected method with whatever surrounding prolog/epilog statements you require

3) when your injected method (JITCompilationStarted) is loaded use the IL from your target method.

No articles, but I do similar to this in OpenCover (source on GitHub - look for the word cuckoo)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Jasper,

Based on my known, please try thishttp://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/trace-and-profile-function-calls-with-gcc/ 

Have a nice day.

Ghost,
    Call me ghost for short, Thanks
    To get the better answer, it should be a better question.

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Thank you ghost for the suggestion, (ghost is a nice way to be called.. :))

But I was wanting to know specifically based on the .NET profiling API. The ICorProfilerCallback stuff.

..JPJ..

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Hi Jasper,

I didn't find it in MSDN document.

Have a nice day.

Ghost,
    Call me ghost for short, Thanks
    To get the better answer, it should be a better question.

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:27 AM
  • What I would try is

1) when your module is loaded (ModuleLoadFinished) modify your target class with a new method that matches the signature of your target method

2) when your target method is loaded (JITCompilationStarted) rewrite it to call your new injected method with whatever surrounding prolog/epilog statements you require

3) when your injected method (JITCompilationStarted) is loaded use the IL from your target method.

No articles, but I do similar to this in OpenCover (source on GitHub - look for the word cuckoo)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:20 AM