none
Advantage of using BizTalk Server to connect SAP over .net connector for SAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Could anyone please advise Advantage of using BizTalk Server to connect SAP over .net connector for SAP.

I mean client is asking instead of using BizTalk Server ,would it be beneficial to use .net connector for SAP.

Pls Advise Sandeep

-- Regards Sandeep
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandeep,

the process you describe comes OOTB with BizTalk, via the available SAP adapter, data transformation capabilities, and SQL adapter. As earlier replied, if doing a custom p2p you will have to implement this interoperability plumping yourselves.

Given that, dependent on situational it may still be better to go for a custom approach iso BizTalk:

• do you already have BizTalk in place; or do you have to purchase it for this 1st application?
    • utilizing BizTalk in your system architecture makes it more complex; and can be overdone for just a simple application
    • in case of bi-directional and realtime/direct data transfer .NET-SAP, e.g. retrieving SAP data, invoking SAP business functionality from a .NET based UI (eg. SharePoint, Silverlight), the more batch-oriented nature of BizTalk is less applicable.

Mind you: the (currently outdated) .NET connector is not the only option for implementing p2p connections:

1. you can (should) apply a service-oriented coupling between .NET and SAP systems; by applying WS*-standards (WCF in .NET, and preferable BAPI webservices or Enterprise Services from the SAP side)
    2. in case the BizTalk product is available, you can also implement a p2p connection via the BizTalk WCF LOB Adapter SDK. I described my experiences with it in Apply WCF BizTalk Adapter Pack to service-enable SAP BAPI/RFC's blog entry.

Best regards, William.

WvStrien
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

My take is the following;

BizTalk provides transformation(mapping) capabilities, durable messaging (retries, persistence), monitoring(MOM,SCOM)/Tracking(HAT,BAM) and management of of Business Process between multiple systems.  Also, BizTalk adapter infrastructure provides reliable, performant and secure data transmissions.  If you were creating a custom "Point-to-Point" solution without Biztalk, you would need to build each of these blocks of functionality.

The .NET Connector is an SAP product based on Microsoft .NET technologies which provides the technical interoperability required to build .NET applications interacting with SAP. Many companies use this approach for "Point-to-Point" integration with SAP where a custom interface is required and .NET is the preferred development platform.  The .NET Connector interacts with SAP via BAPIs, RFCs, IDocs or asynchronous web service calls and is fully integrated with Visual Studio .NET 2003. At design time, you can generate .NET proxy classes using the integrated Proxy Wizard. Your applications will then communicate with SAP through the .NET Connector runtime using RFCs or HTTP/SOAP/XML.

SAP has now announced that a new version 3.0 is planned to be released in December 2010 timeframe.  I believe there is a beta which may be available.

Thanks,

William

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandeep,

My take is the following;

BizTalk provides transformation(mapping) capabilities, durable messaging (retries, persistence), monitoring(MOM,SCOM)/Tracking(HAT,BAM) and management of of Business Process between multiple systems.  Also, BizTalk adapter infrastructure provides reliable, performant and secure data transmissions.  If you were creating a custom "Point-to-Point" solution without Biztalk, you would need to build each of these blocks of functionality.

The .NET Connector is an SAP product based on Microsoft .NET technologies which provides the technical interoperability required to build .NET applications interacting with SAP. Many companies use this approach for "Point-to-Point" integration with SAP where a custom interface is required and .NET is the preferred development platform.  The .NET Connector interacts with SAP via BAPIs, RFCs, IDocs or asynchronous web service calls and is fully integrated with Visual Studio .NET 2003. At design time, you can generate .NET proxy classes using the integrated Proxy Wizard. Your applications will then communicate with SAP through the .NET Connector runtime using RFCs or HTTP/SOAP/XML.

SAP has now announced that a new version 3.0 is planned to be released in December 2010 timeframe.  I believe there is a beta which may be available.

Thanks,

William

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hi William ,

Thanks for your reply..

One more thing i like to know if building a application to fetch data from SAP and push to SQL tables, will it require more effort than if i am using BizTalk Server.

If yes, then what all effort requrired, so that i can justify the customer.

Thanks

Sandeep

-- Regards Sandeep
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

That would depend on what the requirements are around the solution you are building and how robust it needs to be.  Also, how many other interfaces between SAP and other systems are needed would affect your decision.  (i.e. is this a single point-to-point connection or will there be others) Additionally, availability (24/7),  performance (mult-threaded), exception management and so on would play part in the determination as to which path would require the most effort. 

Thanks,

William

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

the process you describe comes OOTB with BizTalk, via the available SAP adapter, data transformation capabilities, and SQL adapter. As earlier replied, if doing a custom p2p you will have to implement this interoperability plumping yourselves.

Given that, dependent on situational it may still be better to go for a custom approach iso BizTalk:

• do you already have BizTalk in place; or do you have to purchase it for this 1st application?
    • utilizing BizTalk in your system architecture makes it more complex; and can be overdone for just a simple application
    • in case of bi-directional and realtime/direct data transfer .NET-SAP, e.g. retrieving SAP data, invoking SAP business functionality from a .NET based UI (eg. SharePoint, Silverlight), the more batch-oriented nature of BizTalk is less applicable.

Mind you: the (currently outdated) .NET connector is not the only option for implementing p2p connections:

1. you can (should) apply a service-oriented coupling between .NET and SAP systems; by applying WS*-standards (WCF in .NET, and preferable BAPI webservices or Enterprise Services from the SAP side)
    2. in case the BizTalk product is available, you can also implement a p2p connection via the BizTalk WCF LOB Adapter SDK. I described my experiences with it in Apply WCF BizTalk Adapter Pack to service-enable SAP BAPI/RFC's blog entry.

Best regards, William.

WvStrien
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:09 AM