What are the best Windows Embedded devices to consider for my robotics project? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want to plan for the latest version of Robotics Studio / OS and get the smallest device (preferably tablet style) that will allow me to upload my logic, provide a user interface and maximize battery life (maybe even tie directly into the onboard 12v battery).

Richard Chapler

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:09 PM

All replies

• I think any windows tablet would work fine with RDS.  There's really no generic solution for this -- you'll need to consider your particular application and its  processing requirements, size constraints/goals, power budget, and interface needs etc... carefully to choose a device that perform well for you.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Another consideration is whether you will be adding a Kinect to your project.  The Kinect uses the majority of a USB controller and it is recommended that you dedicate a controller to its use.  And this is a controller, not simply a port.  You can use the device manager to see how your proposed device manages its USB controllers. 
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Thanks for your replies... I think that I can get the cheapest, smallest tablet (since the performance requirement will be minimum at best)... battery life is probably the biggest concern.  And re: USB for Kinect, good point.

Richard Chapler

Saturday, November 10, 2012 6:00 PM