none
C# Windows Forms Client App Accessing Access 2013 Database RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of developing a reasonably simple Access database for work. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I am limited to using Access 2000.

I thought a good option instead would be to develop a C# Windows Forms application that directly interfaced with the Access database. As far as I know this should allow me to use a more up-to-date version of Access (I have 2013) for the back-end without requiring my employer to upgrade their licenses of Access 2000.

Is this correct? If I simply deploy my C# app to all the clients and stick the Access database on a network share everyone will be able to use it?

I don't want to start development and find out that I have made incorrect assumptions hence the question.

Any help is appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your assumption is wrong, choosing C# or Windows Forms does not limit or empower you to use any kind of database.

That said, using the access database from a network share with multiple users is very dangerous and should be avoided. To explorer your options, visit the ADO.Net forums and ask the database programmers there for alternatives.

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Your assumption is wrong, choosing C# or Windows Forms does not limit or empower you to use any kind of database.

That said, using the access database from a network share with multiple users is very dangerous and should be avoided. To explorer your options, visit the ADO.Net forums and ask the database programmers there for alternatives.

Visual C++ MVP

Sorry I probably worded my question badly. I was not talking about using C# as an answer to the database question, more along the lines of removing the requirement for clients to have Access installed to interact with the backend Access database (for the moment I would rather ignore the Access Runtime option as that requires an extra deployment which I doubt would be well received at my employers).

As for the link, thank you that was helpful. I've been trying to get them to let me use SQL Server Express for some time so perhaps I can play on the corruption issues to solve the problem entirely since that would be a nice option from both a development perspective and a user perspective.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:12 PM