Cannot remove custom log or custom field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I encountered some problems with deleting custom logs and custom fields and haven't seen anyone have the same issue...

Steps to reproduce:

Create a Log analytics workspace than create a custom log and a custom field.

[MyLogAnalyticsWorspace] > Advanced Settings > Data > Custom Fields/Custom Logs then click on Remove.

There is a message saying "Click 'yes' to permanently remove custom field '[MyCustomField]' from search results." / "Click 'yes' to permanently remove custom log '[MyCustomLog]' from your search results."

Click "Yes".

Note: There is no feedback message saying it was successfully deleted and no Azure notification.

I then waited for some hours and tried again but it still does not work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Friday, December 27, 2019 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Marc-André Beaulieu,

I have tried to reproduce the problems you have encountered while removing custom logs and custom fields (from workspace's Data tile under Advanced Settings tile) but ended up with no issues in removing custom logs and custom fields. Below are my observations.

In case of custom logs, there is a feedback message / notification stating whether it is successfully removed or not. Please find below screenshot for reference.

In case of custom fields, there is no feedback message / notification stating whether it is successfully removed or not. I believe it is by design that it doesn't provide any feedback message / notification here. If interested, you may provide this as a feature request in this UserVoice / feedback forum. Then responsible product / feature team would consider the feedback and work on it based on various parameters like feasibility, priority, votes a feedback receives, etc. 

One other way to validate whether a custom log / custom field is successfully removed or not is, by checking activity logs. As soon as you remove a custom log, you would have an activity log with "microsoft.operationalinsights/workspaces/logsettings/definitions/delete" action and status of it would get logged under "status" and "subStatus" properties. Similarly in case of removing custom field, you would have an activity log with "microsoft.operationalinsights/workspaces/customfields/delete" action and status of it would get logged under "status" and "subStatus" properties.

Hope this information helps!
    Saturday, December 28, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your response. I will look at that and let you know if I still have the same issue !
    Monday, December 30, 2019 4:08 PM