Overload all <bold> tags RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to set how bold the <bold> tag makes my text?  The default value seems too bold for how I want...

Preferably it would be some kind of overload that is set as a resource which affects all the tags.  Thanks!

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 5:25 PM

Answers

• Adobe multi-master fonts never caught on, so there is no support for degrees of boldness.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2006 6:21 PM

All replies

• Adobe multi-master fonts never caught on, so there is no support for degrees of boldness.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2006 6:21 PM
  • Doh... ok.  I was hoping there would be something akin to CSS where you could set the degree of boldness but I guess not.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 6:54 PM
  •  Hi Derek,

I'm curious do you mean that in general, text in WPF appears bolder than in GDI or WinForms? We're making some changes in the Rc1 release that may help. 

As for specifying varying degrees of font weight, we actually have this ability in WPF. You can set this by using the FontWeight property and setting a value such as SemiBold, Bold, or Black. However, this only works if the font family you're using has these weights available.

The following will work because these font families have a 'Black' font weight available

<TextBlock FontFamily="Arial" FontWeight="Black">Hello</TextBlock>

<TextBlock FontFamily="Bodoni MT" FontWeight="Black">Hello </TextBlock>

WPF will actually simulate 'bold' if a font family does not have a bold weight but we will not simulate any other weights because simulation can significantly decrease the quality of the typeface.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 11:25 PM