ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS RRS feed

• Question

• User-102950003 posted

Hi all,

I have the following situation: I have a website with asp.net 2.0 no MVC in Visual Studio 2010. When I run the website in the debugger the asp.net development server is started and the website is running properly. 

When I configure in IIS8.5 a website with an apppool on .net 2.0. I get all the time Error_Too_Many_Redirects. I tried the folder where the code is in to convert to application. Doesn't matter. 

I hope somebody can help me out. 

Thanks in advanced all for your help, time and effort. 

It is really appreciated. 

Regards,

Stefan Verheggen

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:28 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

This can happen when setting an authentication mode (like Forms Authentication) but there's no login page or the login page does not allow anonymous users. 

Try setting IIS authentication to Anonymous only and see if that fixes the issue.  From there you'll need to figure out what to do next.

Otherwise, you might have a redirect loop bug in the code.  Look for Response.Redirects in your code base.

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:05 PM
  • User-102950003 posted

Thanks for the quick reply. But if it is a code bug, why isn't seen with the asp.net application server? also when it is running in windows server 2008 R2 with IIS 7.0 it isn't showing up. 

anonymous also doesn't work. 

Thanks in advanced for your help and effort. 

Regards,

Stefan

Friday, November 10, 2017 1:37 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

Start by checking the IIS log.It should allow to spot which page(s) are causing this redirection cycle.

Friday, November 10, 2017 1:46 PM
  • User991499041 posted

Hi Stefan,

If a webpage has too many redirects (for example, A points to B; B points to C; C points to D… and so on); in such a situation as well browsers will show the redirect loop error.

This problem may be caused either at the client end or the server end.

If there is no redirection loop on the server side, the problem is likely to be solved just by deleting cookies.

You could also try opening up a network monitor like Fiddler.

With Fiddler running, you can try to reproduce the hang, and from its captured HTTP conversations you should be able to gain more insights on the problems.

In addition, please post in the IIS forum for more assistance:

http://forums.iis.net/

Regards,

zxj

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:14 AM
  • User61956409 posted

Hi Stefan Verheggen,

Firstly, please check if using something like Response.Redirects cause the issue.

Besides, you said, the your MVC app works fine on IIS7.0, but not work fine on IIS 8.5, Please check if you are applying URL rewrite rule with redirect.

With Regards,

Fei Han   

Friday, November 17, 2017 3:21 AM
  • User-102950003 posted

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. It seems like a database error. I changed the app pool credentials to my administrator account on my development PC and all is running now. I have to figure out why the credentials in the app pool aren't working. 

Regards,

Stefan

Monday, December 4, 2017 3:57 PM