How to develop an app that uses UPnP to share things on DLNA enabled devices windows phone 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any tutorial or sample ?
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:57 AM

Answers

• Our samples are here:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapps

I couldn't find one for that particular technology, but you can request samples as well at that site.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:19 PM
  • I'm not aware of any such sample but you can check the samples library here: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapps.

-Eric.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:21 PM

We've created a functional UPnP controller class library in C# that offers identical syntax and semantics on Phone 8, Surface (WinRT, Store) and Windows desktop/server.

It was a serious effort especially because of the platform differences and limited documentation that exists for UPnP, but its in very good shape and being stress tested by creating a Sonos controller that runs on my Lumia 920 and my Surface tablet.

If you'd like to be added to our mailing list for the soon to be released beta, let me know.

Thx

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:01 AM

All replies

• Our samples are here:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapps

I couldn't find one for that particular technology, but you can request samples as well at that site.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:19 PM
  • I'm not aware of any such sample but you can check the samples library here: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapps.

-Eric.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:21 PM

We've created a functional UPnP controller class library in C# that offers identical syntax and semantics on Phone 8, Surface (WinRT, Store) and Windows desktop/server.

It was a serious effort especially because of the platform differences and limited documentation that exists for UPnP, but its in very good shape and being stress tested by creating a Sonos controller that runs on my Lumia 920 and my Surface tablet.

If you'd like to be added to our mailing list for the soon to be released beta, let me know.

Thx

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:01 AM
  • We've created a functional UPnP controller class library in C#...

I'm unable to find this sample. Do you have a direct link?
    Friday, October 25, 2013 4:39 AM

I'm unable to find this sample. Do you have a direct link?

Hi, this system is still being tested, I'm creating a Sonos controller App for both Phone and Surface as a formal test vehicle.

We discovered a serious bug in Windows 8.1 yesterday too, this bug prevents an app from multicasting SSDP messages and has temporarily frozen our testing (on physical Surface tablets).

This work has gone very well despite numerous challenges, the API is very functional and because its 100% managed code, designed from scratch for these mobile platforms simultaneously, we are perfectly placed to fine tune this and strive for high performance and low resource consumption.

As soon as the system passes our comprehensive testing we'll make a beta available, I'll post some images of the emerging Sonos App in a few days, thanks for your interest.

Cap'n

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:27 AM
  • Here is a screenshot of the partially developed Sonos controller app for Surface:

This page pertains to a specific Sonos player (selected by the previous page). Currently the XAML is accessing the Volume, Bass and Treble settings of the UPnP rendering control service in the media render sub device (which sits 'inside' the Sonos player device).

The page also allows you to mute or unmute the player (see the command bar at the bottom of the page). Both the sound adjusters and the muting all leverage INotifyProperty changed within the system's view model.

The controller API also fully leverage UPnP eventing, if I observe the above page then adjust the sound settings using some other controller (or by fiddling with the actual player unit itself) the slider controls will automatically move to reflect these changes, the XAML is bound to notification properties which themselves rely upon a generic algorithm to update internal state variables as and when event messages stream in.

I've just added a "mute all" feature that mutes all players (ideal if kids etc are playing music in various rooms and you need to silence them to call them for dinner etc etc. The official Sonos controller app for iPhone and iPad and Android offers no such feature - but this is low hanging fruit for me now that I have a well structured UPnP class library.

The support libraries all run reliably on desktop and Phone 8 too, so in theory

Cap'n

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

I am a Program Manager on the Windows Team and I am interested in just talking to you about:

1) you chose to implement the DLNA stack yourself instead of using the API's in the windows.media.playto namespace

2) the Windows 8.1 bug you ran into. The thread seems to be deleted.

can you send me a note at Steven.Wilssens at Microsoft.com ?

Thanks!

Steven

Steven Wilssens

Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:15 AM
  • Is replying here enough for requesting to be added to the mailing list? What is the current status for the UPNP library?

Thanks

Ben

Friday, January 3, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Hi Matt,

can I get access to your library quickly? I'm at a AT&T hackathon and could really use that. Would be great!

Thanks

Jan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they answered your question!

Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:41 PM

As soon as the system passes our comprehensive testing we'll make a beta available, I'll post some images of the emerging Sonos App in a few days, thanks for your interest.

Cap'n

Hello there, still testing? Are you still willing to share your UPnP class library? How I can contact you to share more information what I am after?
    Sunday, January 5, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

Can i have a copy of your Sonos app for 'testing'?

Cheers

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Hey,

is the Library out there yet? I would like to be added to your mailing list. My mail adress is knut.perseke at gmail.com

Thx

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Is this library available anywhere. Would love to test it.

Thanks

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:19 PM