none
Enough memory? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Do I have enough physical memory in my SS2005 db server?

Is there some way to see how much memory the database use?

Can I see in some way if more memory will help performance?

Thanks

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you have an Express Edition, you are limited to 1 Gigabytes of memory ( Express Edition is free but is limited )

I know that system stored procedures give informations about I/O, i will search for memory.

Have a nice day

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:19 PM
  • The short answer is no, you probably don't have enough memory.  There are a number of ways to check, but the best is to use Perfmon to view the Page Life Expectancy counter in the SQL Server: Buffer Manager object.  Also grab the Total Pages, Free Pages.

Run this Perfmon counter for a few hours/days, and analyse the results.  Seeing a Page Life Expectancy dropping below 300 seconds indicates memory pressure.  Total Pages * 8192 * 1048576 will tell you how many MB of RAM the buffer pool is taking up.  SQL Server will try to keep this below the total amount of physical memory.  If Free Pages is close to 0, and page life expectancy drops to near 0, you definitely need more RAM (or to tune your queries to make more efficient use of existing RAM).

You can also run "DBCC MemoryStatus" in Management Studio for a snapshot of the current memory status.

Hope that gets you off to a start!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:30 AM
    Answerer