Results of CodedUI runs are not getting logged in database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I am running the manual test cases from Test Manager the database gets populated with the results from where I can generate the reports.

But on running CodedUI from Test Manager the database is not getting populated.

Can anyone help me to resolve this issue?

Regards,

Rima

Rims

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:13 AM

Answers

• Hi MRima,

In my opinion, that is expect. Each test method is associated to the test case instead of test steps. So for the automatic test, the test steps is not useful. In other words, it won’t generate the record for the tbl_TestActionResult.

Thanks

Best Regards  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Hi MRima,

In my opinion, I think we can’t base on the automatic test run id to get the test steps directly. I think we could base on the test run id to find the test case id, then base on the test case id to find the test steps information.

About the TFS database tables’ relationship, I suggest that you could post it in the TFS Forum for efficient response.

On the other hand, for your requirement (like manual test to generate the action results in the database), I suggest that you could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio . The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there so the others can vote it. If you submit this suggestion, you might post that link here which will be benefit to others who has the similar issue.

Thanks

Best Regards  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi MRima,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, I would like to know what results that you want to reports. What’s the logged mean? Do you mean the Test Results Log? If so, please refer to this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/11c71641-e6ef-4790-9a3b-e70e3cb67e08/how-to-export-the-codedui-test-results-log?forum=vsautotest

We will get the test result file (.trx file) and other files that we configured in the test setting in the Test Run.

I find the tbl_TestResult have the based test result information of manual or automatic tests.

Thanks

Best Regards  

Friday, January 10, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

I want to generate report with test steps, actions, expected results. which I am able to generate if I run the test case manually and not if it runs automatically.

After I run codedUI the tbl_TestResult  table gets updated with all the values like TesstRunId, TestResultId, TestCaseId etc and also [tbl_TestRun] tables getting populated, but I dont see anything in table tbl_TestActionResult.

Am not sure if am missing anything.

Please help me figuring out this.

Thanks,

Rima

Rims

Friday, January 10, 2014 5:59 AM
  • Hi MRima,

In my opinion, that is expect. Each test method is associated to the test case instead of test steps. So for the automatic test, the test steps is not useful. In other words, it won’t generate the record for the tbl_TestActionResult.

Thanks

Best Regards  

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:55 AM
  • But then how do I get steps in my report?

Is there any way to get test steps from any other tables based on test run Id if not from tbl_TestActionResult?

Because the requirement is to generate the doc report where we can show test steps also. Something like below.

Rims

Friday, January 10, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi MRima,

In my opinion, I think we can’t base on the automatic test run id to get the test steps directly. I think we could base on the test run id to find the test case id, then base on the test case id to find the test steps information.

About the TFS database tables’ relationship, I suggest that you could post it in the TFS Forum for efficient response.

On the other hand, for your requirement (like manual test to generate the action results in the database), I suggest that you could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio . The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there so the others can vote it. If you submit this suggestion, you might post that link here which will be benefit to others who has the similar issue.

Thanks

Best Regards  

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:32 AM