none
fields or entry not fixed RRS feed

• Question

• I filled up my report body with fields and report item table.

Body - Table 1           

Quantity/Unit

Description

Destination

=Fields!qty_unit.value

=Fields!item_desc.Value

=Fields!item_dest.Value

Footer

=Field!releasedby.value            =Fields!approvedby.value         =Fields!receivedby.value

When previewed or printed, why my 3 fields - releasedby, approvedby and reveivedby are not in fixed position as defined in the report designer? I want those items to be in that position because we have a pre-printed form for Gatepass. I noticed those fields maintain space with the report item table. Help Pls.

• Edited by Grecko Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:16 AM bold text
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:11 AM

Answers

• Ok, so you have a pre-printed form on which you need the printout.
    Well, if you would place it below a Table as it is done over here, the location of the 3 fields would depend on the number of rows in Table and the gap that you are leaving between the Table and the 3 fields in the designer.

And, that makes it difficult to implement - having a constant location as in designer.

However, here is my unique, logical, smart and :) solution:

1. Place the Table on a Rectangle control.
    2. Stretch that rectangle's height to the location where you need to have the 3 fields.
    3. Place the 3 fields now, on the rectangle area, at the location as you want in your pre-printed form.
    4. Right Click on the 3 Fields and choose to bring it to Front.
    5. That's it. Your job is done.

If you are not able to understand, would post an image tomorrow.

Regards, Lakra :) - If the post is helpful or answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Grecko Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:11 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:41 AM

All replies

• Can you also post the output that you view?
    How has your 3 fields changed their positions?

Is it coming in another page? Or, is it too close to your table?
    Regards, Lakra :) - If the post is helpful or answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Hi Abhijet Lakra,

Sample output 1. (See space between my table items and 3 fields below.)

Quantity/Unit                                Description                                                             Destination

5 pcs                                           ballpen                                                                   Plant 6
    10 pcs                                         brown envelope                                                       Plant 5

Cy Gabriel                   Jhonson Que                      JJ Helterbrand

Sample Output 2. 

Quantity/Unit                              Description                                                               Destination   
    5 pcs.                                        ballpen                                                                     Plant 6   
    10 pcs.                                      brown envelope                                                         Plant 5
    2 pcs.                                        plastic envelope                                                        Plant 5
    100 kgs.                                    rags                                                                         Plant 5

Cy Gabriel                Jhonson Que                      JJ Helterbrand

Problem: The 3 names below are moving down. I want it fixed because that is the exact place for our gatepass pre-printed form.  

Thanks,
    Grecko
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Ok, so you have a pre-printed form on which you need the printout.
    Well, if you would place it below a Table as it is done over here, the location of the 3 fields would depend on the number of rows in Table and the gap that you are leaving between the Table and the 3 fields in the designer.

And, that makes it difficult to implement - having a constant location as in designer.

However, here is my unique, logical, smart and :) solution:

1. Place the Table on a Rectangle control.
    2. Stretch that rectangle's height to the location where you need to have the 3 fields.
    3. Place the 3 fields now, on the rectangle area, at the location as you want in your pre-printed form.
    4. Right Click on the 3 Fields and choose to bring it to Front.
    5. That's it. Your job is done.

If you are not able to understand, would post an image tomorrow.

• Marked as answer by Grecko Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:11 AM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Hi Abhijeet Lakra,

Thank you so much. Actually, I am thinking if this solution of drawing a rectangle control is the proper way. I did this already, however, i did not place my 3 fields inside the rectangle. I use the rectangle control to define an area for my table.

Yours sicerely,
    Grecko 
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Well, Tools have been provided to the developer. It's up to the developer to use them wisely.
    Also, there is a difference between unique and odd. :)

Please read the following article about the exact purpose and options available by the Rectangle control.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251697(VS.80).aspx

Here's the highlight of the Article:
    " When using rectangles to contain report items, consider how the items will be affected as a whole during report rendering. Report items that contain repeated rows of data (for example, tables) will expand to accommodate the data that is returned by a query, and this affects the positioning of other items in the rectangle. A table will push items down if they are positioned below the data region. To anchor an item in place, you can place the report item inside of a rectangle that has an upper edge above the lower edge of the table. ... "

Hope you feel better and :) after reading this Article.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:20 AM