none
Resource Running task cost RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am facing an issue, i have assign resource rates per hour... but when a resource update his task via timesheet or tasks cost did not show me Actual Cost. Pleas help me on this...

Hammad Umar

Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

now you confused me? Are you looking at BaselineCost?

When you plan a project, you will see costs and work for your current planning in Cost and Work. When you save a baseline, your current planning is copied to baseline fields, BaselineCost and BaselineWork. There will be no change on these values, until you save the baseline once more and overwrite existing baseline.

After a user enters updates, PM accepts these updates and publsih them, you will see updated values for ActualCost and ActualWork. Moreover, when you look at timephased values in Project client (e.g. in a usage view), you will see that Work is updated with ActualWork and Costs is updated with ActualCost for all days, your user has entered actual work.

So baseline is independent of updates by resources, and you will not see any changes until you resave baseline.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Hammad Umar Monday, February 27, 2012 3:00 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

have you accepted updates and published them? At the moment I can see modified Actual Work, I see als new Actual Costs. Could you please describe where you are looking for Actual Cost?

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, February 25, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Umar, i f the tasks are assigned to the resources (for which the rates are modified as per the requirement) and publish, then the tasks would be shown in the same resource tasks page...if timesheet is enabled and the actual work is logged and the same efforts are approved, then the actual cost of those tasks would be showing the proper values i.e. with the latest std rate of those resources...

so hope the above explanation helps...if not pl elaborate the query...

B Rajasekhar Reddy

Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Actually this project is base line project... if project is not base line i am able to see these things happen but not in baseline. Please help...

Hammad Umar

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Agreed with Barbara, If I understand correctly, another reason may be, project was baselined first & then resource updated the actual hours  so you don't see any baseline actual work. If you overwrite the baseline, you can see the values of actual work. Is that the case?

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82

Monday, February 27, 2012 6:30 AM
  • Hi,

now you confused me? Are you looking at BaselineCost?

When you plan a project, you will see costs and work for your current planning in Cost and Work. When you save a baseline, your current planning is copied to baseline fields, BaselineCost and BaselineWork. There will be no change on these values, until you save the baseline once more and overwrite existing baseline.

After a user enters updates, PM accepts these updates and publsih them, you will see updated values for ActualCost and ActualWork. Moreover, when you look at timephased values in Project client (e.g. in a usage view), you will see that Work is updated with ActualWork and Costs is updated with ActualCost for all days, your user has entered actual work.

So baseline is independent of updates by resources, and you will not see any changes until you resave baseline.

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by Hammad Umar Monday, February 27, 2012 3:00 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Yes. I agree with Barbara as she explained in detail. And as she mentioned, there is nothing to be done with the baseline for the cost. Normal workflow of assigning the tasks to team members, actual efforts logged by team members, and those efforts approved by PM doesnt require any baseline and with out baseline also, we can see the cost and actual cost values. So If you ask me, std rate of the resource is very much important than the baseline.

Hope the above description helps.

B Rajasekhar Reddy

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:30 PM