none
AS2, MDN, MIC, BOM and other fun acronyms. RRS feed

• Question

• One of the "known issues" with BizTalks implementation of AS2 is stated here:

The AS2 pipelines do not include the BOM (byte order mark) character in the MIC (Message Integrity Check) that they calculate. Other AS2 systems may include the BOM while calculating the MIC. This could result in a mismatch in the MIC calculated by BizTalk Server and the MIC calculated by a trading partner.

So, now what? Does BizTalk just willy-nilly not include the BOM and best of luck if your trading partner does? This is a real problem and a potential show stopper.  For instance, when I send a message to my development BizTalk server from AS2 Complete software, I get back "MDN received with no errors, but received MIC value and sent MIC value do not match."

Someone at Microsoft - please explain this.  I appreciate the heads up - otherwise I'd have no clue why things fail - but how about a work around or a fix here?? How can two trading partners rely on the MDN (and MIC contained therein) as confirmation of valid data being exchanged with the current BizTalk approach? How did BizTalk Server 2006 R2 ever get past AS2 certification with this defect?

Thus far, we have exchanged messages via AS2 from two completely different systems - one from Axway (Cyclone) and the other AS2 Complete.  Both complain about the MDNs MIC value not matching what was expected.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:36 PM

All replies

• This documentation is outdated, as far as I know. BOM character is included in MIC calculations in R2.

BR,

Yury

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 5:23 PM