SSRS Multiple Instances Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have set up SSRS 2016 in our company. We are using this for development now. Now we would need a separate environment, that can be called QA,UAT. Is there any way to create multiple instances of SSRS without installing SSRS on different systems for each environment. Can I use the same SSRS for multiple instances?

Please provide the steps to create multiple instances.

Thanks in Advance.

Manisha Chauhan

Monday, July 8, 2019 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Manisha K Chauhan

According to your description, if you want multiple user or machine to use ssrs , you could try to use the ssrs via the reporting service url .

So you could try to only install one ssrs as the test environment in one machine .

See:

Enabling remote users to access SSRS

For your requirement ,seems it was not available in current ssrs .

If possible you could also submit the requirement at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Hope this could help

Best regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:46 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for response.

I don't want multiple users to use ssrs. My requirement is to use SSRS for multiple environment like Development, QA and for Production. For now we are using SSRS for development purpose only, but now I need to deploy reports on QA and then on Production environment. The problem I am facing is I need to deploy our same Reports to Development, QA and production server.

we have 3 different database for QA, Development and PROD environment(i.e QA, DEV, PROD). For development purpose DEV database is used to create reports and when reports perfectly done then will publish the reports to QA for testing purpose  which point QA database(same copy of DEV database).

Same I will do for Prod after QA perfectly done.

How do I deploy reports to these three environment.Is there any way to do this?  Do I have to install SSRS on three different machines or Can I create three instances of same SSRS(in one machine) to point these 3 databases and accordingly I can view reports on server? 

Please guide me. 

Thanks in advance.

Manisha Chauhan

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hi

If you want to deploy the report to the 3 different environments , you could try to use the script to do the job .(seems it would be more convenient than change the report server url ?)

See: Script Deployment and Administrative Tasks

if you want to build 3 ssrs instance in your machine , you could not use one ssrs name for 3 ssrs instances.

Or you could try to build one ssrs instance and then use the always on feature in your reporting server , and then check if it meet your requirement.

See: Reporting Services with Always On Availability Groups (SQL Server)

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

• Proposed as answer by Mitarai Queen Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:41 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:42 AM